Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » multiple or single oracle home for databases (10.2.0.1,xp)
multiple or single oracle home for databases [message #315016] Fri, 18 April 2008 11:45 Go to next message
varu123
To install multiple databases on a single host,then each database must have its own oracle home.

But i created 3 databases pointing to same oracle home and it works just fine.
Oracle home is essentially the place where oracle software is installed which is common for all the databases.

What exactly do we mean when we say in reply to questions that say

Q)Can we install more than one databases?
A?Yes with separate oracle home for each database
Re: multiple or single oracle home for databases [message #315017 is a reply to message #315016] Fri, 18 April 2008 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
To install multiple databases on a single host,then each database must have its own oracle home.

Wrong.

Quote:
What exactly do we mean when we say in reply to questions that say...

That the answer is not correct in the absolute but there is no need to have multiple databases for the same Oracle version.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Fri, 18 April 2008 12:11]

Report message to a moderator

Re: multiple or single oracle home for databases [message #315035 is a reply to message #315016] Fri, 18 April 2008 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
varu123
So its only when multiple databases with different versions are installed.
Re: multiple or single oracle home for databases [message #315039 is a reply to message #315035] Fri, 18 April 2008 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
Quote:

So its only when multiple databases with different versions are installed.

Also wrong. You could have a box with three different client versions installed, and thus three different ORACLE_HOMEs, without one single database on the box.
Re: multiple or single oracle home for databases [message #315040 is a reply to message #315016] Fri, 18 April 2008 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
varu123
Ofcourse but the point is the versions should be different
Re: multiple or single oracle home for databases [message #315048 is a reply to message #315040] Fri, 18 April 2008 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Yes, otherwise there is no need of several homes except for some specific Oracle products that requires their own home (like Database Vault).

Regards
Michel
Re: multiple or single oracle home for databases [message #335249 is a reply to message #315017] Mon, 21 July 2008 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oraclewithpaul
Michel Cadot wrote on Fri, 18 April 2008 13:09
Quote:

Wrong.

Quote:
What exactly do we mean when we say in reply to questions that say...

That the answer is not correct in the absolute but there is no need to have multiple databases for the same Oracle version.

Regards
Michel

I would disagree with your statement "there is no need to have multiple databases for the same Oracle version".

Although my rational is not technical, its purely political.

I prefer to have one Oracle Home per application.

Why... To put it simply, when it becomes time to request a database outage to perform database maintenance, if more than one application shares a Oracle Home I have to coordinate this outage with typically two different business owners/groups.

The politics involved in getting two people/groups to agree, sometimes can be staggering. Especially if the applications have two very different service level agreements (SLAs).

I have scene too many databases go years without maintenance because of multiple application owners (lets face it, we only have databases because application use them) can't agree.

Cheers,
Paul

[Updated on: Mon, 21 July 2008 11:26] by Moderator

Re: multiple or single oracle home for databases [message #335252 is a reply to message #315016] Mon, 21 July 2008 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mohammad Taj

>>>>then each database must have its own oracle home.
It is wrong.

edit: I didn't see other's post, after reading above pointed lines i can't stop myself for the reply.

[Updated on: Mon, 21 July 2008 11:12]

Re: multiple or single oracle home for databases [message #335254 is a reply to message #315016] Mon, 21 July 2008 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
varu123
>>
>>>>then each database must have its own oracle home.
It is wrong.
>>
yeah I Know now.

>>
edit: I didn't see other's post, after reading above pointed lines i can't stop myself for the reply.
>>

Oh!! Shocked Thats too early to wake up!!
Re: multiple or single oracle home for databases [message #335256 is a reply to message #335249] Mon, 21 July 2008 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
Why... To put it simply, when it becomes time to request a database outage to perform database maintenance, if more than one application shares a Oracle Home I have to coordinate this outage with typically two different business owners/groups.

The politics involved in getting two people/groups to agree, sometimes can be staggering. Especially if the applications have two very different service level agreements (SLAs).

If they can't coordinate and are independent, why they share the same server? Don't you have the same problem to upgrade OS version or simply patch it?

Quote:
I have scene too many databases go years without maintenance

Gee! Don't you at least hear about CPU?

Regards
Michel

Re: multiple or single oracle home for databases [message #335266 is a reply to message #335256] Mon, 21 July 2008 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oraclewithpaul
Michel Cadot wrote on Mon, 21 July 2008 12:29
Quote:

If they can't coordinate and are independent, why they share the same server? Don't you have the same problem to upgrade OS version or simply patch it?

Quote:
I have scene too many databases go years without maintenance

Regards
Michel

Solaris: my personal production DB O/S of choice allows patching without the need of an O/S reboot most of the time (99.9 % these days with Solaris 10). Otherwise the O/S level cluster takes care of this. Most of the DB environments I work with high SLAs and small maintenance windows are on clusters (H/A Oracle not RAC).

Linux can also be patched most of the time without a reboot. Windows on the other hand... not so much. I personally prefer not to do windows when it comes to an Oracle RDBMS.

When a business/application owner says... you don't get an outage window, you don't get an outage window.

If you need a an hour outage to apply the patch, and one application owner says... OK do it at 10:00pm and the other business owner says do it at 11:00pm typically office politics sets in and I don't get an outage I can use at all. Each business/application owner expects the other to compromise.
Re: multiple or single oracle home for databases [message #335272 is a reply to message #335266] Mon, 21 July 2008 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> without the need of an O/S reboot most of the time
I believe Michel's concern was with a different context.
What if you need to upgrade/patch the OS(for database) for App1 and App2 is NOT certified with the newer OS version?
Re: multiple or single oracle home for databases [message #335276 is a reply to message #335266] Mon, 21 July 2008 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
When a business/application owner says... you don't get an outage window, you don't get an outage window.

And if you are hacked because you didn't apply a CPU I think there is more risk than an hour outage.

Quote:
OK do it at 10:00pm and the other business owner says do it at 11:00pm typically office politics sets in and I don't get an outage I can use at all. Each business/application owner expects the other to compromise.

Once again, why they share the same server? Pretty bad organization (at least).

Regards
Michel
Re: multiple or single oracle home for databases [message #335302 is a reply to message #335276] Mon, 21 July 2008 15:10 Go to previous message
oraclewithpaul
Michel Cadot wrote on Mon, 21 July 2008 13:29
Quote:

And if you are hacked because you didn't apply a CPU I think there is more risk than an hour outage.

Quote:
OK do it at 10:00pm and the other business owner says do it at 11:00pm typically office politics sets in and I don't get an outage I can use at all. Each business/application owner expects the other to compromise.

Regards
Michel

Tell that to a few cell phone companies I know. Amdocs is the billing software vendor of choice. It uses Oracle as a back end, and usually RAC. But lets say you implemented Amdocs a few years ago... so your running it on 9i RAC and the infrastructure cannot endure more than a 15 minute planned outage. (or you loose call detail records and therefor $$$). Rolling upgrades never really worked under 9i, and most CPU patches usually take more than 15 minutes... what do you do?

The business/application owners loves to hear, 'I need an hour, so you will loose 45 minutes of long distance revenue' so I can install this Oracle Patch.

Some shops, particularly older (larger) Oracle shops have 2-3 larger computers (not even clustered). To keep the over all utilization up on these 16-24 CPU monsters (E10K from Sun, SuperDome from HP) multiple databases where deployed.

I would not catagorize this approach as 'bad organization'... every approach has is it's pros and cons.

One database/application per server in an environment like a bank with literally hundreds of application has an DBA over head to it as well.

Cheers,
Paul

[Updated on: Mon, 21 July 2008 15:26] by Moderator

Previous Topic: Problem with synonym
Next Topic: Private_strands
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 22 15:23:12 CDT 2024