Home » Other » Marketplace » .Net / SQL sever dev to Oracle dev
.Net / SQL sever dev to Oracle dev [message #331554] Thu, 03 July 2008 23:36 Go to next message
Highlander

What are your thoughts on a career as an Oracle developer using oracle forms and Java. Is this a career that has potential or is this one of this tiny niche areas. I've got a strong oop .Net / SQL server background...7 years professional experience but I was thinking about putting out some feelers for Oracle dev/forms/java jobs and see what happens.

Thanks,
Highlander

[Updated on: Fri, 04 July 2008 13:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: .Net / SQL sever dev to Oracle dev [message #332211 is a reply to message #331554] Mon, 07 July 2008 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Highlander
...crickets

is it always this quite on this forum or is it just my question?
Re: .Net / SQL sever dev to Oracle dev [message #332213 is a reply to message #332211] Mon, 07 July 2008 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Highlander wrote on Mon, 07 July 2008 20:02
...crickets

is it always this quite on this forum or is it just my question?

Both.

You have the classic Catch-22.
You need experience in order to get a job.
You need a job in order to get experience.

The odds are, that you don't really understand what the odds are.

You might have a better chance to teach a pig to fly.
Re: .Net / SQL sever dev to Oracle dev [message #332256 is a reply to message #332211] Tue, 08 July 2008 01:03 Go to previous message
Frank
Since I have no idea of your location, the company you work for and your working-conditions, it is quite hard to answer.
Location: what is used throughout the US can be niche in Europe, vice versa; it can even differ per country.
Company: If you are a contractor, it might be difficult to get into a new field (see anacedent's reply); if you work for a SQL-Server/.Net company: you have to switch jobs. If you work for a mixed company: sure, go ahead and ask your manager to get a chance for a taste of 'the real world' Wink
working-conditions: If you are willing to travel or able to do remote work, the location issue is less important.
Previous Topic: which module is in demand in Oracle apps functional
Next Topic: Sr. Database Analyst needed in Portland Oregon
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:56:48 CDT 2024