Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » maximum number of processes exceeded (oracle 9i,9.2.0.1,Oracle Application Server 9i On Red Hat Advance Server)
maximum number of processes exceeded [message #332104] Mon, 07 July 2008 09:16 Go to next message
chintan.patel
i'm using oracle 9i database and application server is also oracle 9i application server,my main problem is when my application is busy with many processes, sunddenly i got error "maximum number of processes exceeded" and my all users get errors and they will thrown out from application, to resolve this i have to restart my apps server instance. i am trying to find reasons of this problem but i consfused when query on v$session,$process & v$sqltext. every time i gets different queries in inactive sessions. there are so many sessions available in v$session with the status 'INACTIVE'. on the other hand in v$process process is available but i cant find query from v$sqltext related to above process's hash_value. my processes limit is set to 150.i'm not too much familier with java coding. i would like to know that this problem is with database side, application server side or application coding side?

Chintan Patel

[Updated on: Mon, 07 July 2008 09:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: maximum number of processes exceeded [message #332105 is a reply to message #332104] Mon, 07 July 2008 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>i would like to know that this problem is with database side, application server side or application coding side?
Yes, the problem is in one of those but we don't have enough details to guess which it is.

Increasing SESSIONS in initSID.ora file will make the problem go away for a while.

The odds are, you don't really know what the odds are.
Re: maximum number of processes exceeded [message #332112 is a reply to message #332105] Mon, 07 July 2008 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chintan.patel
thnks fr t rply

By increasing process problem go away for a while. i would like to know actual problem. is this the problem of garbage collection. or oracle process that cant clear inactive sessions from the database.
Re: maximum number of processes exceeded [message #332131 is a reply to message #332112] Mon, 07 July 2008 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Inactive session does not mean dead session, it means session that does now, in this very microsecond, nothing.

Regards
Michel
Re: maximum number of processes exceeded [message #332133 is a reply to message #332104] Mon, 07 July 2008 10:29 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
> my all users get errors and they will thrown out from application,

I SERIOUSLY doubt this accurately reflects reality.
I suspect that previously connected users stay connected.
Users requiring a new connection, fail to get connected.

Since we have no idea about the application running on the app. server(s), we don't have enough information to guess at a "long term" solution.
Previous Topic: Last time of statement execution
Next Topic: index
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 22 15:20:20 CDT 2024