Home » Infrastructure » Windows » the stupid TNS Listener! (Windows Server 2003)  () 1 Vote
the stupid TNS Listener! [message #340812] Thu, 14 August 2008 08:08 Go to next message
cornercuttin
alright, i have been working on this for a week now and about ready to throw this computer right out the window.

i just need a simple oracle database to be working so that i can start using some other software that requires Oracle. thats it. i keep getting TNS Listener errors.

i have Oracle 10g and am trying to install on Windows Server 2003. here is what i have done:

1. installed the database software
  2. installed the client (admin package)
  3. created a database using the client software (called orcl)
  4. created a listener using the client software (called LISTENER)

now i am a programmer, not an Oracle admin, so a lot of this is guesswork for me (we are a small company and really don't have an Oracle admin).

i have the software installed at C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\. that means that the client is installed at C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\client_1 and the database software is at C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1.

first question: where do i point my oracle home? at the client_1 or db_1?

secondly, here is my tnsnames.ora file:
ORCL = 
  (DESCRIPTION = 
     (ADDRESS_LIST = 
        (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP) (HOST = my.host.name.here.com) (PORT = 1521))
      )
     (CONNECT_DATA = 
        (SID = orcl)
        (SERVER = DEDICATED)
     )
   )

EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA = 
  (DESCRIPTION = 
     (ADDRESS_LIST = 
        (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC) (KEY = EXTPROC0))
     )
     (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = PLSExtProc) (PRESENTATION = RO))
   )

my listener.ora file is:
SID_LIST_LISTENER = 
   (SID_LIST = 
      (SID_DESC = 
         (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
         (ORACLE_HOME = C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\client_1)
         (PROGRAM = extproc)
      )
    )

SID_LIST_LISTENER = 
   (SID_LIST = 
     (SID_DESC = 
        (SID_NAME = orcl)
        (ORACLE_HOME = C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\client_1)
      )
   )

LISTENER = 
   (DESCRIPTION_LIST = 
      (DESCRIPTION = 
         (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = my.host.name.com)(PORT = 1521))
         (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC0))
      )
    )

now these files were created by Oracle and put in C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\client_1\NETWORK\ADMIN. do they need to go in the equivalent folder in the db_1?

also, i commented out the SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS) in the sqlnet.ora file because it says so in some instructions i have. is that right?

as of right now, i am getting the ORA-01034 error. on a fresh install, everything works fine. but once i reboot, the listener never wants to work.

any clues on what i am doing wrong? if you can help me, and you ever make it to OKC, there will be a beer waiting on the table for you. i'm so tired of this thing.
Re: the stupid TNS Listener! [message #340818 is a reply to message #340812] Thu, 14 August 2008 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
Point 1:

When you have installed the database server software on the server, there is no additional client required on the server, since it is included in the server package.

So, Point 2 follows :

All ORACLE_HOME entries on the server should point to the server install.

Especially, the listener must run with the server ORACLE_HOME.

And, ORA-01034 means "Oracle not available". You have set the database to auto-start on reboot? (with oradim or in the windows services panel)

Re: the stupid TNS Listener! [message #340830 is a reply to message #340818] Thu, 14 August 2008 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cornercuttin
i set SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES to NONE, and the damn thing fired up.

did a reboot, and (of course) got nothing. the listener would come up for a minute, but the database would not start/connect. when i would try to start it, the error i got was something like "TNS lost contact". i noticed that as soon as i tried to start it (the database), the TNS process would die.

i have ORACLE_HOME set to C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1. i have the listener.ora, tnsnames.ora, and sqlnet.ora files in the NETWORK\ADMIN folders in both the db_1 and client_1 folders as well.

i just got the listener to start via the web interface, but i cannot get the database to start. I am getting 2 erros, ORA-01034, and error "ORA-27101:shared memory realm does not exist."

i am looking in the listener.log file, and there is a lot of this (i took out the timestamp):
(CONNECT_DATA=(CID=(PROGRAM=)(HOST=__jdbc__)(USER=))(SERVICE_NAME=orcl)) * (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=192.168.0.79)(PORT=XXXXX)) * establish * orcl * 0

where PORT starts at 1522 and just increments up about a hundred times.

does this give any insight to any parameters that i may be missing in my listener.ora file?

btw, thanks a lot for replying. it is a relief to know that someone is trying to help me.

[Updated on: Thu, 14 August 2008 09:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: the stupid TNS Listener! [message #340833 is a reply to message #340830] Thu, 14 August 2008 09:29 Go to previous message
ThomasG
The most common causes for ORA-27101 during database startup is that ORACLE_HOME or ORACLE_SID are not set correctly.

Also, the listener is just a services that listenes to network connections, and connects them to a running database. It can do nothing when the database is not running.

So we should first check if the database is really up.

Try this from the command promt:

set ORACLE_SID=orcl
sqlplus /nolog

You should then get a sql*plus prompt.

then there :

connect / as sysdba

if you then get a "connected to an idle instance" do an

startup

and the database should start.

A cheat sheet for creating (and managing) a database and is here :

http://www.adp-gmbh.ch/ora/admin/creatingdbmanually.html

Previous Topic: import a dmp file