Home » Other » Marketplace » New to Oracle/SQL
New to Oracle/SQL [message #343169] Tue, 26 August 2008 09:14 Go to next message
alhaajir
Hello, I want to get some advice on how to start a career in Oracle DB Management/SQL Coding. I don't know where to start. I have no background whatsoever in Engineering/Computing. I have an Accoutning degree and been working as an Auditor since college (3 years so far).

I did a little bit of work in SQL coding and loved it. I am thinking about doing a career change and want to learn Oracle/SQL. I understand there is certifications I can take such as the OCA but I want to get some advice from professionals out there. What is the best way to start? Should I go back to school? Obtain certifications? My fear is that, even with certifications, employers want experience, which I have none.

I hope someoen can help me as I want to get started on any training I need to do.
Re: New to Oracle/SQL [message #343281 is a reply to message #343169] Tue, 26 August 2008 18:15 Go to previous message
dolfandave
Taking a couple of classes is a good idea. Also if you can simultaneously do a project at home for practice that would be good. I went the route you mention as I worked my way through tech school. I passed two Oracle Certification exams, the SQL one and the PL/SQL one when version 8i was the latest version. Eventually you may want to look into Oracle Financials with your accounting background. It is less coding and more of ERP but the experienced consultants can be making 100 - 200 per hour.

Good luck.

ddave
Previous Topic: Cool:Gen Analyst Needed perm relo included
Next Topic: Job opening: Sr. Oracle Database Architect - Tampa, Florida
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:05:53 CDT 2024