Home » Other » Community Hangout » HrOUG
HrOUG [message #353761] Wed, 15 October 2008 00:51 Go to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Greetings from the 13th annual HrOUG conference in Rovinj, Croatia!

There's nothing much to say at the moment as today (Wednesday) is the first working day. However, if someone is interested, this is the HrOUG's official site. As it is mostly written in Croatian, not many of you will understand it. That's why I chose to post a link to last year's Photo Gallery (right; who wants to read if there are pictures available!). Also, there are links to several previous HrOUGs. I hope that this screenshot will help you identify more pictures Smile

/forum/fa/5153/0/

[EDITED by LF: modified topic title; the original was "HrOUG, Oct 2008"]
  • Attachment: hroug.PNG
    (Size: 6.46KB, Downloaded 2100 times)

[Updated on: Mon, 19 October 2009 11:44]

Report message to a moderator

Re: HrOUG, Oct 2008 [message #353765 is a reply to message #353761] Wed, 15 October 2008 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Ah, is that you, that nice girl leaning on the car?
Re: HrOUG, Oct 2008 [message #353799 is a reply to message #353765] Wed, 15 October 2008 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
No, I was driving that car /forum/fa/917/0/
Re: HrOUG, Oct 2008 [message #353802 is a reply to message #353799] Wed, 15 October 2008 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Laughing

Regards
Michel
Re: HrOUG, Oct 2008 [message #353839 is a reply to message #353761] Wed, 15 October 2008 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
WOW...I've got to attend some Oracle events in Croatia. I'm not used to seeing Oracle events so "picturesque".
HrOUG #14, Oct 2009 [message #426740 is a reply to message #353839] Mon, 19 October 2009 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I'm back from this year's HrOUG.

It appears that global recession affects IT meetings as well. It was obvious that congress rooms weren't as crowded as last year, there was more space on dancing floor, there were not as many hostesses as usually ...

Never mind, I enjoyed my stay in Rovinj! The most interesting parts (from my point of view) were APEX-related workshops. One of the guests was Denes Kubicek, the very first Croatian Oracle ACE.

Then, there was Francisco Munoz Alvarez, founder and president of the Chilean OUG, Oracle ACE Director. He had had DBA tips & tricks presentation which people liked quite a lot, saying that we need more lectures like that one.

As of pictorial, there's nothing new (yet), but you can review last year's HrOUG's photos here.

[EDITED by LF; added "Croatian" for Denes Kubicek. The way I wrote it originally, it looked as if he was generally the first Oracle ACE; no, he is the first Croatian Oracle ACE. In the meantime, we got (at least) one more]

[Updated on: Sat, 19 October 2013 15:28]

Report message to a moderator

Re: HrOUG #14, Oct 2009 [message #426742 is a reply to message #426740] Mon, 19 October 2009 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Hm, no hostesses leaning over your new bike?

Thanks for the updates and the notes about interesting presentation you keep feeding us!
They may help some of us decide whether or not to go to such presentations.
Re: HrOUG #14, Oct 2009 [message #426791 is a reply to message #426742] Mon, 19 October 2009 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Forgot to mention: the same week we have enjoyed Oracle conference in Croatia, there was Open World in San Francisco. Moreover, almost the same time we have listened to a presentation talking about software called Paganini, developed by Croatian software company named "DEKOD", Open World visitors could have seen the same as "Paganini" was presented on that conference as well.

I guess that there's nothing strange in presenting US software (for example), but - Croatian on Open World - well, that's really something!

Although the original "Paganini" version was developed for use in the Vatroslav Lisinski Concert Hall, the presented one was used during the 21st Men's World Handball Championship that took place in Croatia last January.

As of my bike, well, no hostesses, unfortunately. I'm the only operator with my pocket calculator.
Re: HrOUG #14, Oct 2009 [message #480297 is a reply to message #426791] Fri, 22 October 2010 05:46 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Greetings from the 15th HrOUG!

This year's meeting didn't begin well for me - in the morning of the second day I badly hurt my left foot (stumbled down the stairs) so, as I couldn't walk, missed lectures I was the most interested in. What a shame! Now it is much better (as of my foot); it's not really a goosestep, more a limp but ...

The most interesting (OK, funny) lecture so far was the one by Dr. Andrew Sutherland, Senior Vice President of Middleware for Oracle Europe, Middle East and Africa (that would be EMEA). He was talking about cloud computing in the "official" part, but the introduction was hilarious. He said that, according to certain research, out of 100% of listeners 3.8% actually listen to what's being said, 2.6% don't understand a word, and the rest is having sexual fantasies /forum/fa/917/0/.

He also compared country he comes from - Scotland - with Croatia. Scotland is a little bit larger than Croatia, and has a little bit more citizens (so he said that we *know* what we should do if we want to keep up /forum/fa/1587/0/). Furthermore, he said that - even though his language sounds strange - it is still English, uses the same words, only pronounced differently. I think I like Scottish, it sounds somehow ... I don't know, easy going.

There's a joke about a lecture which took place in an environment similar to ours - a beautiful, warm day, lovely nature and stuff, so the moderator said to the audience: I know you'd all want to take a walk so - anyone who wants to leave, do it but do it quietly. So people went out, back rows at first, then the middle, and finally the front rows. At the end, only one man left sitting there so the moderator asked him: Do you REALLY want to listen about Oracle?!?
I'm the speaker - the man responded /forum/fa/1693/0/.

As of cloud computing, oh well, that was OK too, but not as much as the introduction.

What I meant to say: the man knows how to speak, to make a lecture interesting and attract attention. He certainly managed to do that, and I think that this was the one that ended up much sooner that I (and many others) wanted to. Really an cool guy, that Andrew Sutherland. If you ever have a chance to listen to him, do so.

As of other speakers: apart from many "local" people who shared their experience, we've had several Oracle ACEs and ACE Directors. If you are interested in it, here you are.

(Unfortunately, no photos from the previous conference).

Lunch time! /forum/fa/7776/0/
Previous Topic: Benoit Mandelbrot
Next Topic: OTN forum woes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:11:21 CDT 2024