Home » Other » Client Tools » Remote database access through SQLPLUS issue
Remote database access through SQLPLUS issue [message #355506] Fri, 24 October 2008 09:54 Go to next message
vinoth_kumar
Hi,

I have installed db 10g, OWB 10g (Oracle Datawarehousing tool), OWB 11g in my system.

I can connect to the remote databases through toad. But when I connect through sqlplus which comes default in the above mentioned Iam getting no TNS listener error. All the tns entries are correct and TNSping is also OK.

What could be the issue?

Thanks
Kumar
Re: Remote database access through SQLPLUS issue [message #355508 is a reply to message #355506] Fri, 24 October 2008 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Sounds like you have multiple homes and you have not updated the tnsnames.ora used by that sqlplus instance.
Re: Remote database access through SQLPLUS issue [message #355515 is a reply to message #355508] Fri, 24 October 2008 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vinoth_kumar
Frank,

I have updated the tnsentry in the respective network/admin folders.

Thanks
Re: Remote database access through SQLPLUS issue [message #355686 is a reply to message #355515] Mon, 27 October 2008 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
panyam

Hi Vinoth,

I am not sure but check it out

a)whether same oracle service name have multiple entriens in tnsname.ora file

b) while connecting through Sqlplus specify the hoststring also,
( if you did nt done previously).

c) Check from toad the tns names entries for that service.
Re: Remote database access through SQLPLUS issue [message #355818 is a reply to message #355686] Mon, 27 October 2008 14:01 Go to previous message
andrew again
In all toad versiones that I can remember, you can see and control which Oracle home is being used by the databasse login window.
To see what SQLPLUS is doing, I'd do this:
1) open a command prompt
2) Confirm that the DOS version of sqlplus shows the issue whether using a domain or not (my_db vs my_db.world or whatever)
3) tnsping my_db
This will show which tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora are being used. Chances are it's different to what Toad is using.

It's a good idea to set environment variable TNS_ADMIN to point to a single location (can be separate from your existing oracle homes) where you maintain a single tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora. Rename all other tnsnames out the way so Oracle won't use them.
Previous Topic: ENTER DOESNT WORK HELP!!!
Next Topic: Column Names truncated in SQL Plus
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 11:36:43 CDT 2024