Home » Server Options » RAC & Failsafe » RAC system (10.2.0.3, Windows 2003)
RAC system [message #387768] Fri, 20 February 2009 09:02 Go to next message
sant_new
Hi all,

We are a development company and one of our client has proposed to implement active/passive Oracle RAC configuration in their production environment soon. Is there any key points that they need to worry about in implementing this related to the database side? Will this make any difference in terms of the application? Please give me your thoughts on this.

Thank you very much.
Re: RAC system [message #387769 is a reply to message #387768] Fri, 20 February 2009 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/rac.102/b14197/toc.htm
Re: RAC system [message #387925 is a reply to message #387768] Sat, 21 February 2009 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sant_new
Thanks for your reply.

We are now debating if we should consider setting up the RAC environment in our company as well to certify with our application. As we are a development company, we are unsure if the RAC environment at our client's will make any changes to our application. But I feel RAC architecture for our company is not required because we dont have any production databases we only have the client's databases which we use to troubleshoot for any issues. Is setting up RAC architecture cost effective?? I know I need to do a lot of study to set up RAC but cost will play a major role at this point in our company. I'm kind of in a confused state now whether to set up RAC configuration within our company and certify it for our application before our client could set up RAC in their environment OR if it is not required to certify our application with RAC, the client could just implement RAC in their environment and hope our application will work fine asusual. Please give me your thoughts.

Usually, our clients have different version of databases from 10g to 11g. We have their databases in-house to troubleshoot but in different Oracle versions. So it has not been a practise to reproduce the client's environment since there is a lot of clients working with various Oracle versions. Is it necessary to reproduce the RAC architecture in our company to make sure the application will work fine?

Thanks for your time. I appreciate it.
Re: RAC system [message #388636 is a reply to message #387925] Wed, 25 February 2009 14:12 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> Is it necessary to reproduce the RAC architecture in our company to make sure the application will work fine?
In theory, it is not necessary to have a RAC.
All RAC does is to protect the database from a single node failure.
The database should ***function*** the same way as if in single instance mode. It may not ***behave*** the same way (internally).
All the rest factors need to be determined with a specific scale.
But it really depends on what kind of application you are talking about and how application and database is been used.
Previous Topic: Problem in Installation of 10g RAC on SUSE10
Next Topic: ERROR: ConnectCommPort: Accept failed with error 24., tid = CMConnectListerner:32773 file = unix
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:18:29 CDT 2024