Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Move RAC database - need to format the disk storage having RAC and ASM installed (Two nodes Solaris with Oracle RAC 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.3.0)
Move RAC database - need to format the disk storage having RAC and ASM installed [message #405607] Thu, 28 May 2009 10:27 Go to next message
alexberi
Hello,

Short story:
I need to format the disk storage used by a two nodes RAC with ASM.
How can I have the database working the new disk storage.

Long story:
We decided to change the external disk storage formatting from RAID 5 to RAID 10.
Configuration is: 2 Solaris nodes having Oracle software installed on each node and running with ASM
- node1: ORCL1 database and +ASM1 asm instances
- node2: ORCL2 database and +ASM2 asm instances

Available is a NFS storage with plenty of space.

Please tell me which would be the easiest way to move the database?

Thank you
Re: Move RAC database - need to format the disk storage having RAC and ASM installed [message #405610 is a reply to message #405607] Thu, 28 May 2009 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
I would talk to Oracle Support first.
Moving the database is least of your problems. You can easily snap the database to a single instance database on NFS mount, continue your business and come back.
Question is , how are you going to deal with OCR and Voting disks?
You need to back them up properly first.
If this is a SAN to SAN migration, it can be done easily in SAN level ( in past we have migrated around 2Tb of data, online).
If your SAN has enough space, move to a very separate area within the SAN, reconfigure your raid levels for areas use for ASM and come back.

As said, first open a SR with Oracle. The most optimized method will depend on your storage vendor etc.

Regards
Re: Move RAC database - need to format the disk storage having RAC and ASM installed [message #405620 is a reply to message #405607] Thu, 28 May 2009 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alexberi
Thanks alot for your answer.

1) Is it just the OCR and Voting disk making problems?
What about the two ASM instances, do I need to backup them also?

2) migration is SAN to SAN but to the same SAN. In other words we only have one SAN. Do you know if is possible (and how) reconfigure raid levels? I am not sure if we have more areas defined on SAN.

Thanks again, Alex.
Re: Move RAC database - need to format the disk storage having RAC and ASM installed [message #405626 is a reply to message #405620] Thu, 28 May 2009 12:49 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>What about the two ASM instances, do I need to backup them also?
ASM is just a volume manager.
If you lose it, just recreate it back, create diskgroups, restore database and continue.
If you corrupt your OCR /Voting disks, that is more trouble.
To be safe, I would just backup everything in every possible method.
Reconfiguring raid-levels is beyond the scope of this forum. Just bring up your storage admin tool and you will see the options.
Backup everything before you do anything.
Previous Topic: Oracle Database Diconnection with VC Application (merged 2)
Next Topic: Wait event still prevailing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 03 06:40:50 CDT 2024