Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » ora-12170: TNS :connect timeout occurred (oracle 10g)
ora-12170: TNS :connect timeout occurred [message #422847] Sun, 20 September 2009 16:36 Go to next message
nastyjillu
i installed oracle 10g in my laptop. and it was working well after installation. i created roles, tables also.i could login using sqlplus and toad.

but after few days i tried to login using toad or sqlplus but i couldnt. it gave below error

ora-12170: TNS :connect timeout occurred

but i could login using the command prompt by typing sqlplus at command prompt. then why am i not abale to login using sqlplus??

i checked the services and were running .

i searched in few forums and solution was to change firewall settings in windows. i did that but was not usefull.

thanks
jillu
Re: ora-12170: TNS :connect timeout occurred [message #422848 is a reply to message #422847] Sun, 20 September 2009 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>but i could login using the command prompt by typing sqlplus at command prompt.
>then why am i not abale to login using sqlplus??
HUH? Make up your/our mind, please.

You need to help us by following the Posting Guidelines as stated below.
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/
Go to the URL above click the link "Posting Guidelines"
Go to the section labeled "Practice" & do as directed.
Re: ora-12170: TNS :connect timeout occurred [message #422861 is a reply to message #422847] Sun, 20 September 2009 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kevin Meade
I am getting a little tired of seeing your same post everywhere Swan. Stop telling people they have to read the posting guidelines becuase you can't figure out how to help them. You are not getting an award for having the most number of posts. You shouild spend more time actually trying help someone because when you do your assistance is pretty good. I see nothing wrong with this post, and his problem was stated quite clearly.

As for your connect problem nastyjillu, I do not have a solution for you. However, in the interest of getting more info, did your success go like this:

1) installed.
2) check it out, it worked great, created tables etc.
3) powered down laptop
4) powered up laptop and tried to log in, now only command prompot sqlplus works, no sqlplus for windows

If so this might indicate some setting not effective till reboot.

Also, did you install anything else at the same time, before the reboot, or after the reboot other than Oracle10g.

Kevin
Re: ora-12170: TNS :connect timeout occurred [message #422918 is a reply to message #422861] Mon, 21 September 2009 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nastyjillu
thanks kevin. i too dont understand why swan always asks to follow post guidelines when my question was very clear.

swan - post guidelines are to make question understandable, make it clear. but when my question is very clear then what is the point of following guidelines??

if i had code here i would definitely put that in CODE section.

give me a clear example about how to follow the guidelines. take my question given in this post as example and tell me how would you write it following all the rules. that will help me next time i write something.

to kevin,

i think i didnt reboot my system after i installed oracle. is it necessary to do so??

thanks
jillu
Re: ora-12170: TNS :connect timeout occurred [message #422938 is a reply to message #422847] Mon, 21 September 2009 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kevin Meade
no it is not necessary to reboot, at least I do not recall is as being so. I was only trying to acertain if you had rebooted prior to seeing the problem. You see, you are saying that sqlplus for windows used to work and now it does not. That implies that something has changed. I was looking to see if that something might have been a pending install change from some other piece of software.

The "used to work but now it don't" class of problem is almost always because something has changed. Either something on the hardware/software side, or in what the user (you) are doing.

Kevin
Re: ora-12170: TNS :connect timeout occurred [message #423000 is a reply to message #422938] Mon, 21 September 2009 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nastyjillu
i restarted the system.i now got different error. its given below

ORA-12154: TNS :could not resolve the connect identifier specified

i have installed oracle 10g few time before and as it didnot work i installed again and again but with different Home names and different folder but same drive. is this creating problem??

i tried to deinstall old homes but couldnt do that. can i remove old homes using regedit?? ( as i dont want to format my system).

during this installation i also got PERL5LIB error. i ignored it.

last time when i was installing oracle i got the same PERL5lIB error, i ignored it and installed and my oracle worked fine. but this time its not working.

given below are tnsnames.ora, listener and sqlnet.ora files of my new oracle home.

TNSNAMES

# tnsnames.ora Network Configuration File: C:\oraclesep09\network\admin\tnsnames.ora
# Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

LISTENER_ORACLE10 =
  (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 192.168.1.104)(PORT = 1522))

ORACLE10 =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVER = DEDICATED)
      (SERVICE_NAME = oracle10g)
    )
  )

EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC1))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SID = PLSExtProc)
      (PRESENTATION = RO)
    )
  )

Listener

# listener.ora Network Configuration File: C:\oraclesep09\network\admin\listener.ora

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
  (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
      (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
      (ORACLE_HOME = C:\oraclesep09)
      (PROGRAM = extproc)
    )
  )

LISTENER =
  (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
    (DESCRIPTION =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC1))
    )
  )

SQLNET

# sqlnet.ora Network Configuration File: C:\oraclesep09\network\admin\sqlnet.ora

# This file is actually generated by netca. But if customers choose to 
# install "Software Only", this file wont exist and without the native 
# authentication, they will not be able to connect to the database on NT.

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)

NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, EZCONNECT)

hope this information can help you

thanks
jillu

Re: ora-12170: TNS :connect timeout occurred [message #423005 is a reply to message #423000] Mon, 21 September 2009 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Your listener file needs more work.
You are missing appropriate SID_NAME.
Re: ora-12170: TNS :connect timeout occurred [message #423014 is a reply to message #423005] Mon, 21 September 2009 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nastyjillu
Hi mahesh,

what do i change or add to my listener? but it had to be taken care automatically during installation right??

where do i add SID_name in listener ?

thanks
jillu
Re: ora-12170: TNS :connect timeout occurred [message #423016 is a reply to message #423014] Mon, 21 September 2009 17:40 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Check the example in documenation.
In the listener.ora there are two sections.
First you name the listener (in your case and in example, default name LISTENER is assumed) and associate it with the serverName and port.
In second section, you will associate all the SID that this listener will serve. In example, the SID is sales.

In your tnsnames.ora, you are calling the tns entry as Oracle10 which is looking up to service oracle10.

http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/A97630_01/network.920/a96581/listener.htm#500386

>>but it had to be taken care automatically during installation right??
May be. If you have done all things right.
Previous Topic: ora-12203
Next Topic: DBLINK Between oracle ans sql server 2005
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:43:20 CDT 2024