Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Cannot reclaim space after running "alter Shrink table ... shrink space" (Oracle, 10g, Windows Server 2003)
Cannot reclaim space after running "alter Shrink table ... shrink space" [message #423985] Tue, 29 September 2009 15:38 Go to next message
shekharnegi12
Hello,

Before I could start I want you'll to know that I've read different threads on the same issue but didn't get a solution that would fit my problem.
After running the segment advisor I found that there were few tables from which I can get space. I run the following command

alter table tablename enable row movement;
Alter table tablename shrink space  
alter table tablename disable row movement;

Before and after running these commands on a table I checked its size and evidently both the values matched. So does that mean that the space will not be deallocated. Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Shekhar
Re: Cannot reclaim space after running "alter Shrink table ... shrink space" [message #423994 is a reply to message #423985] Tue, 29 September 2009 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>Any input will be appreciated.
Do you suffer from Compulsive Tuning Disorder?
How much actual disk space were you hoping/expecting to recover?
How much did/does it cost to acquire/buy that much disk space?
How much do you get paid on per hour basis?
How much time has you spent on this issue as compared to cost of disk space?
Re: Cannot reclaim space after running "alter Shrink table ... shrink space" [message #424177 is a reply to message #423994] Wed, 30 September 2009 07:40 Go to previous message
shekharnegi12
Quote:
Do you suffer from Compulsive Tuning Disorder?

Well, do you suffer from "Waste Everyone's time" Disorder? Are you even serious about these question?

Now listen up BLACKSWAN we are her because we've come across some problem or the other so I think you should stop shooting you vague, irrelevant and nonsensical at us. If you don't know or if you do not wish to share the solution please don't respond and waste my and your time in reading and writing respectively. Hope you get the picture...

BTW before answering to your following question
Quote:
How much do you get paid on per hour basis?

May I know if you own a house or rent one?

Thanks,
Shekhar
Previous Topic: to know free and used spaces in datafiles
Next Topic: Managing archive log size
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 03 07:24:32 CDT 2024