Home » Infrastructure » Unix » Oracle patch for Solaris 10 (Oracle, 9.2.0.7.0, Solaris 10)
Oracle patch for Solaris 10 [message #424966] Tue, 06 October 2009 16:26 Go to next message
ShaV
Hi everybody,

I realize this is an old version of ORACLE but it is what it is. Upgrading to 10/11 would require a new version of our application and thus new hardware and also consulting dollars. So we're stuck with it for now given the economic climate.

I have a number of different environments here set up on Solaris 9 running ORACLE 9.2.0.7.0 (patched to this level from 9.2.0.1.0).

I'm trying to recreate these environments on a solaris 10 machine for various development/testing purposes. So I installed ORACLE 9.2.0.1.0 (32 bit) from our installation media. Then I took my copy of the 9.2.0.7.0 patch and tried to apply it. The requirements specificy Solaris 6,7,8,9 so I assumed that meant "and greater". Problem is the installer checks and "5.10" is not a match so it will not install.

I have no means of getting this patch directly from Oracle as our licenses are paid for via our licensing agreement with the vendor of our application and THEY provide support. I suspect they will give me a hassle because 9 is no longer a supported ORACLE version.

So my questions:

1) Can I find the 9.2.0.7.0 32-bit patch anywhere else?

2) Does Oracle still supply this patch via metalink for download so I can push the application vendor to get it for me

3) Do you know if 9.2.0.7.0 32-bit is actually certified on Solaris 10?

4) Assuming I can't solve this issue can I export data from 9.2.0.7.0 into 9.2.0.1.0 using exp/imp? (user schemas/data - not system ones)

Thanks in advance - any insight would be appreciated.
Re: Oracle patch for Solaris 10 [message #424968 is a reply to message #424966] Tue, 06 October 2009 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
A few answers:

1) Oracle still supplies the patch, since 9.2. is still in extended support (If your vendor has that.)

2) Whether it's supported on Solaris 10 is another question, also if you run into problems with the application the vendor might also say "Sorry, that combination is not supported"

3) I would definitely NOT run a X.X.1 version on production. They usually still have some major bugs.

As for getting the patch to install:

The "best" way to install it on a "un-supported" OS would be to add that OS to the oraparam.ini file in /Disk1/install/. (In the [Certified Versions] section). That way the OS version passes the check, but all other pre-installation checks are still done.
Re: Oracle patch for Solaris 10 [message #424969 is a reply to message #424968] Tue, 06 October 2009 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
Also, the Oracle Certification Matrix might be of interest to see what was/is still supported.

Which, by the way, includes the information, that 9.X (32bit) was never supported on Solaris. Razz

[Updated on: Tue, 06 October 2009 17:00]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Oracle patch for Solaris 10 [message #424971 is a reply to message #424969] Tue, 06 October 2009 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ShaV
ThomasG wrote on Tue, 06 October 2009 17:57
Also, the Oracle Certification Matrix might be of interest to see what was/is still supported.

Which, by the way, includes the information, that 9.X (32bit) was never supported on Solaris. Razz

Thanks very much for all the information.

Not sure I understand the point about 9.X (32-bit) not being supported on Solaris?

I searched the matrix using SPARC Solaris and a found similar result to what you just told me - neither 8.X or 9.X show up as certified. Then why do I have a 9.2.0.7 (32-bit) patch specifically for the Solaris operating system if it's not a supported configuration? I'm a little confused...
Re: Oracle patch for Solaris 10 [message #425006 is a reply to message #424971] Wed, 07 October 2009 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
Depends on where you got that patch. If you got it from your vendor, maybe they tweaked it to install on Solaris, just that they only tweaked it up to the version 9 that existed then, and didn't include 10.

I think Oracle can be *made to run* on any Unix-ish OS with enough performance, when the processor architecture is supported. Someone who know what he is doing can change the oraparam.ini so that the OS check is passed, and that person would possibly also have to adjust some installation checks/scripts like rootpre.sh, which adjust the required OS parameters.

It's just that that combination then is not *officially supported*, so every time you run into a bug you would possibly have to re-produce that bug on a supported combination to get Oracle to look at the problem.

Re: Oracle patch for Solaris 10 [message #425114 is a reply to message #425006] Wed, 07 October 2009 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ShaV
ThomasG wrote on Wed, 07 October 2009 03:32
Depends on where you got that patch. If you got it from your vendor, maybe they tweaked it to install on Solaris, just that they only tweaked it up to the version 9 that existed then, and didn't include 10.

Hi Thomas - thanks again.

I was thinking about your answer and it made sense at first because the original base installation media for ORACLE was provided by the application vendor (has their logo on it and everything).

However then I remembered where the patch came from and it was from an ORACLE consultant that we had in to upgrade our production systems a year or two ago - he had no affiliation with the application vendor so this patch was downloaded from ORACLE.

I've opened a support call with the vendor this morning to try to get some answers.

Do you know if I can imp/exp from a 9.2.0.7.0 installation into my new 9.2.0.1.0 install? (Your earlier concern about the reliability of .0.1 is noted - that's actually why we had done the patch install for our other environments. However, this latest environment is just for testing/evaluation so in a pinch I might be able to use 9.2.0.1.0 if I can still import my data to it)
Re: Oracle patch for Solaris 10 [message #426280 is a reply to message #424966] Wed, 14 October 2009 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ShaV
ThomasG:

I just wanted to thank you for your time and let you know what we ended up doing in the end.

The software vendor came back and eventually suggested that I use the runInstaller with the "-ignoreSysPrereqs" flag which would force it to ignore the Solaris version requirement. So pretty much the same thing as what you were suggesting.

The installation went off without any problems and seems to be working fine for our purposes.

Thanks again.
Re: Oracle patch for Solaris 10 [message #426293 is a reply to message #426280] Wed, 14 October 2009 14:31 Go to previous message
ThomasG
Great.

Thanks for the feedback. Thumbs Up

Glad it worked out.
Previous Topic: How to findout the files which are created after 12AM in unix server.
Next Topic: Oracle code in Unix script
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:06:57 CDT 2024