Home » Server Options » Data Guard » drop and create log files (10g)  () 1 Vote
drop and create log files [message #434321] Tue, 08 December 2009 11:22 Go to next message
firefly
Hi,

I would like to increase the size of my redo logs. For this I need to drop & recreate them. I have read the Oracle doc http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14239/manage_ps.htm which covers this however :

I have both "normal" and "standby" redo logs (see below) on my primary database - can I drop the standby redo logs? Do these have a link to the redo logs on the standby database?

SQL> SELECt * from v$logfile order by 1;

GROUP# STATUS TYPE MEMBER
---------- ------- ------- ------------------------------------- 1 ONLINE D:\ORACLE\ORADATA\REDO01.LOG
2 ONLINE D:\ORACLE\ORADATA\REDO02.LOG
3 ONLINE D:\ORACLE\ORADATA\REDO03.LOG
4 STANDBY D:\ORACLE\ORADATA\STDBYREDO04.LOG
5 STANDBY D:\ORACLE\ORADATA\STDBYREDO05.LOG
6 STANDBY D:\ORACLE\ORADATA\STDBYREDO06.LOG
Re: drop and create log files [message #434402 is a reply to message #434321] Wed, 09 December 2009 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stonevishcool
Hi,

Quote:
Do these have a link to the redo logs on the standby database?

Do let us know types of Standby database whether it's Physical on Logical standby.

Regards,
Vish

Re: drop and create log files [message #434411 is a reply to message #434402] Wed, 09 December 2009 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
firefly
Hi Vish,

It is a physical standby and the same log files above are also present on the standby db.

The protection mode is performance.

Thanks

F

[Updated on: Wed, 09 December 2009 03:29]

Report message to a moderator

Re: drop and create log files [message #434599 is a reply to message #434321] Wed, 09 December 2009 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stonevishcool
Hi F,

Quote:
my primary database - can I drop the standby redo logs?

Basically, A standby redo log is required for the maximum protection and maximum availability modes. But Yes, you can drop standby redo logs on primary. It require when primary database running in standby role. But Oracle recommended to create standby on Primary site also. So that you can perform Switchover activity smoothly.

Quote:
Do these have a link to the redo logs on the standby database?

Only when primary database running in standby role.

Let me know if you have any question.

Regards,
Vish
Re: drop and create log files [message #448374 is a reply to message #434321] Tue, 23 March 2010 01:22 Go to previous message
goldenshot2727
no , no need to drop the standby redo logs file, if you have set the standby_management=auto.

bou if you set this parameter to manual, then you have to do the same steps on the standby which you perform on primary.

Do more reading of oracle documentation.
Previous Topic: DR Rebuild - Data Restore issue
Next Topic: Unable to start ACTIVE DATAGUARD
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:43:08 CDT 2024