Home » Server Options » RAC & Failsafe » NEED AN HONEST NON ORACLE SALES ANSWER.
NEED AN HONEST NON ORACLE SALES ANSWER. [message #446091] Fri, 05 March 2010 07:22 Go to next message
scharada
we have a vendor that required the use RAC for a financial application. we feel he has not been straight forward with us in his recommendation and overstated our needs to sell us more licenses.

i need an honest answer. do we really need RAC and when is that investment justified .

is there a common practice used in deciding whether to go for RAC and invest based on activity volume or some other criterion ?

HONEST experts comments are appreciated.
Re: NEED AN HONEST NON ORACLE SALES ANSWER. [message #446102 is a reply to message #446091] Fri, 05 March 2010 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Have a look at first chapter of Oracle9i Real Application Clusters Concepts

Regards
Michel
Re: NEED AN HONEST NON ORACLE SALES ANSWER. [message #446267 is a reply to message #446091] Sun, 07 March 2010 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jvalerio_ar
First of all, it is important to understand why they are positioning Oracle Real Applications Clusters. Frequently the customers have needs like availability or scalability in their infrastructure, Oracle RAC solution delivers 24/7 database availability, performance, and scalability.
I'm curious though ... exactly what sorts of fears are you hearing in your company, if it a price issue you can start without it but to be honest you will be loosing:

-Availability - continuous uptime for database applications
-Scalability - add more capacity by simply adding servers to your cluster
-Lower costs - reduce cost of downtime

If you or your team are in doubt about licenses you can start using non perpetual license, I understand you can license oracle products from 1 to 5 years so if something goes wrong you can come back and use a simple oracle instance without cluster.

Good luck!

[Updated on: Sun, 07 March 2010 06:16] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: NEED AN HONEST NON ORACLE SALES ANSWER. [message #449453 is a reply to message #446091] Mon, 29 March 2010 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
archylus
About this I have a question...

in our company we run 4 separate database servers, we want to change this servers for 1 RAC solution, the problem is that we can't make a consolidation of this three servers ( We need it in production asap and making this will take a while ),

RAC will support the creation of 4 separate instances in one node ???

Will it make a good management of the instances in RAC??

We are moving to RAC in 10gR2.

Thank 4 all, Razz
icon12.gif  Re: NEED AN HONEST NON ORACLE SALES ANSWER. [message #450349 is a reply to message #446091] Tue, 06 April 2010 10:20 Go to previous message
LKBrwn_DBA
@scharada: If after you review the RAC documentation your main concern is financial, you still can provide high-availability using Dataguard and/or single node RAC (11g) at a lower cost.

@archylus:
Quote:
RAC will support the creation of 4 separate instances in one node ???
Yes, check out the fine Oracle® Database Oracle Clusterware and Oracle Real Application Clusters Administration and Deployment Guide

Quote:
Will it make a good management of the instances in RAC??

Yes, but depend on the resources you provide (CPU's, memory, etc...)

[Updated on: Tue, 06 April 2010 11:19] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: OCFS2 for windows
Next Topic: Standby Server
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:49:33 CDT 2024