Home » Server Options » RAC & Failsafe » RAC with ASM or GPFS on IBM AIX machine ?
RAC with ASM or GPFS on IBM AIX machine ? [message #463798] Sat, 03 July 2010 14:47 Go to next message
dba4bank
Hi There!
We are planning to install 11GR2 RAC with two nodes Cluster on AIX 6.1 in Our Environment.
Also we will run two and more instance on the RAC environment. They will be 10 G and 11 G databases.
My question:
Which is the best solution ? RAC with ASM or RAC with GPFS ?Could you please share your experience with this issue. Expacially i need to know compare both configuration and i need to know what is advantages and disadvantages.

Thanks for your Assintance.

Re: RAC with ASM or GPFS on IBM AIX machine ? [message #463825 is a reply to message #463798] Sun, 04 July 2010 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mkounalis
There really is no advantage I have seen using GPFS over ASM. Save your licensing dollars - and also simplify your support of the stack by going with a full oracle solution. ASM will do everything you need for what you are planning.
Re: RAC with ASM or GPFS on IBM AIX machine ? [message #463877 is a reply to message #463798] Mon, 05 July 2010 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dba4bank
Thanks for your response.
But I have some concern. Because I couldnt find any reference with OLTP system on ASM from oracle site. All document that i reached from oracle reference site related with DSS environment. Actuall we have used RAC with ASM on the test environment and couldnt facing any problem with ASM.
Is there any reference OLTP system with working on the ASM ?

Regards.
Gokhan Dedeler
Re: RAC with ASM or GPFS on IBM AIX machine ? [message #463950 is a reply to message #463877] Mon, 05 July 2010 06:55 Go to previous message
mkounalis
Where is your concern coming from? ASM doesn't change the performance characteristics of the database - ASM is the storage manager - database I/O doesn't go through ASM to get to the disks. Most of the world record tpc benchmarks that oracle holds were done using ASM. Also, the latest version of the Oracle Database machine which touts OLTP uses ASM. Which site are you going to that is omitting this information? You probably need to go to docs.oracle.com and grab the concepts book and read up on what ASM is.

[Updated on: Mon, 05 July 2010 06:58]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: How to switch to another NIC adapter in RAC automatically?
Next Topic: OEL 5.4, Clusterware 11g R1 (11.1.0.6)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:24:17 CDT 2024