Home » Other » Client Tools » how to tweak SQL*Plus to change the way line numbers are displayed (Oracle 10g Release 2)
how to tweak SQL*Plus to change the way line numbers are displayed [message #481414] Wed, 03 November 2010 06:19 Go to next message
alamsiddiqui
Hello everyone,

We use _user @ _connect_identifier combination as our sqlprompt so that we won't forget which database we are currently working on. It appears as shown below.

Username@Sid>select column1
  2  from
  3  table2;

As you can see, this is sometimes very annoying when we want to use text block selection of any previously entered query. What I want is the query to appear like this:

Username@Sid>select column1
      2      from
      3      table2;

How can I do that? Please answer. And yes, I want to keep those line numbers. And I did google it but couldn't find a solution.
Re: how to tweak SQL*Plus to change the way line numbers are displayed [message #481415 is a reply to message #481414] Wed, 03 November 2010 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
I don't believe it's possible.
Re: how to tweak SQL*Plus to change the way line numbers are displayed [message #481416 is a reply to message #481415] Wed, 03 November 2010 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
You could set the SQLNUMBER to off, so that the normal prompt is displayed in every line. Of course, then you lose the line numbers.

SQL> set sqlprompt someone@somewhere>
someone@somewhere>set sqlnumber off
someone@somewhere>select 1
someone@somewhere>from dual;

----------

someone@somewhere>

[Updated on: Wed, 03 November 2010 06:39]

Report message to a moderator

Re: how to tweak SQL*Plus to change the way line numbers are displayed [message #481417 is a reply to message #481416] Wed, 03 November 2010 06:59 Go to previous message
Roachcoach
Put a return after "select" so that all the actual bits of the code are aligned and all you need to do for a re-run is type SELECT then paste in the copied columns/code block

So rather than

XXXXXXXX@YYYYYYY> select dummy
  2  from dual;

D
-
X

you get

RO_335592@bi02pbir > select
  2  dummy
  3  from dual;

D
-
X

Pretty weak but its all I can think of right now.

Be interested if its a settable parameter but I'd be surprised Smile
Previous Topic: 2 Sessions for one connection ?
Next Topic: Previously executed block
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:27:11 CDT 2024