Home » Server Options » Replication » Is ODI the right technology for me to use? (Oracle 10g R2, OELinux)
Is ODI the right technology for me to use? [message #489269] Fri, 14 January 2011 03:41 Go to next message
tomo
Hi,

I need to set up replication between three 10g R2 databases.

There will be one main database where the data will flow into two small databases. A little bit of information will flow back from these smaller databases into the main one.

I have been asked to evaluate ODI as an option. Unfortunately I cannot use Golden Gate due to the cost.

I've had a play with ODI and it looks like it's all done on a GUI where I would much prefer to be using command line scripts for setup and monitoring, please let me know if I'm mistaken here and there are command line options.

It also looks like ODI is more geared to integrating data from many different sources but I'm just going from Oracle to Oracle so don't know if it's a bit overkill.

I'm thinking of just looking at CDC which I can set up with scripts and looks to be the basis behind ODI anyway (when it comes to taking data from Oracle) - again, if I'm wrong please correct me. I may even go down the streams route that I have used before.....

Any thoughts / advice on this would be appreciated,

Thanks!,

Tom.
Re: Is ODI the right technology for me to use? [message #489281 is a reply to message #489269] Fri, 14 January 2011 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Maybe materialized views is just what you need, or maybe Streams.
Have a look at Database Advanced Replication book.

Regards
Michel

Re: Is ODI the right technology for me to use? [message #489282 is a reply to message #489281] Fri, 14 January 2011 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tomo
Hi Michel,

Thanks for your response.

Not overly keen on Materialized views as there will be some 2 way replication involved, and I'm a bit worried about 1. performace hit on the source db and 2. consistent sets of data. Yes Streams is another option for me, I've just been advised by Oracle to try looking at ODI but I don't know if this is the right way to go.

Has anyone used CDC / ODI that could offer their thoughts?

Thanks,

Tom.
Re: Is ODI the right technology for me to use? [message #489563 is a reply to message #489269] Mon, 17 January 2011 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sovekconsulting
hello, please review and consider our database replication product for your needs
http://www.sovek-consulting.com/index.php/products/data-replication

Let me know if you any need additional information.

Regards,
SK
Re: Is ODI the right technology for me to use? [message #489568 is a reply to message #489563] Mon, 17 January 2011 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Is this the only thing you can do to help, advertise for your product (which 100% of your answers)?

Please EXPLAIN IN DETAILS how your product will answer to the problems or stay in Marketplace forum.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Mon, 17 January 2011 10:45]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Is ODI the right technology for me to use? [message #489580 is a reply to message #489568] Mon, 17 January 2011 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sovekconsulting
Michel Cadot wrote on Mon, 17 January 2011 11:44
Is this the only thing you can do to help, advertise for your product (which 100% of your answers)?

Please EXPLAIN IN DETAILS how your product will answer to the problems or stay in Marketplace forum.

Regards
Michel

ODI is positioned by Oracle as a product to be used in BI/DW world for data loading, transformation etc. It can be used for this specific requirement, but ... do you really need all the tables to be refreshed from scratch - if you are ok with this then make sure no-once uses data until refresh is completed, time depends on amount of data etc.
Btw, if you can't afford Golden gate, careful with spending too much time with ODI as it's even more expensive - check this http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/pricing/technology-price-list-070617.pdf

Other comments - streams can only be used with Oracle EE, you didn;t specify your version, I assume you have EE.

Other alternatives - as Michel already mentioned - Oracle replication (see my comment below), materialized views seem to be a good solution as well, other 3d party tools.
As for scripting - although it's a valid option as its doesn't require any investments into additional software licensing - careful about hidden requirements to support the solution once it's implemented and if you are not available - who is going to do this; plus additional headache after DB versions upgrades etc..

Main features of our product -
- database replication product supporting near real-time replication between 2 databases (Oracle in this case) for selected tables within one or multiple database schemas; after initial data-loading only data deltas are replicated.
- 2-way replication can be configured for 2 databases but not for the same tables. I don't know if small databases should replicate data back to the mail database from the same tables - I hope no as this greatly complicates the implementation using any available solution - conflicts resolution is a global issue for such requirements, Oracle's Multi-master replication provides ways for conflict resolution but it's not fun to set it up and maintain it, for sure. I've done this and don't want to use this again Smile
BTW - I'm not 100% sure but I think ODI doesn't support 2-way replication for the same tables either.
- no changes are needed in database schemas to be used for replication.
- works with any edition of Oracle.

Regards,SK

Re: Is ODI the right technology for me to use? [message #490167 is a reply to message #489580] Fri, 21 January 2011 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tomo
Hi,

Thanks very much for the responses.

We can get ODI from Oracle on an embedded licence where we cannot get Golden Gate, that is why it is cheaper.

Yes, we have Oracle EE so streams is ok.

What do you mean "do you really need all the tables to be refreshed from scratch"? my understanding is that only the changes go over (using some sort of cdc)?

Thanks,

Tom.

Re: Is ODI the right technology for me to use? [message #490184 is a reply to message #490167] Fri, 21 January 2011 12:01 Go to previous message
sovekconsulting
tomo wrote on Fri, 21 January 2011 09:38
Hi,

Thanks very much for the responses.

We can get ODI from Oracle on an embedded licence where we cannot get Golden Gate, that is why it is cheaper.

Yes, we have Oracle EE so streams is ok.

What do you mean "do you really need all the tables to be refreshed from scratch"? my understanding is that only the changes go over (using some sort of cdc)?

Thanks,

Tom.

There are 2 scenarios for tables replication -
full without CDC(I was referring to this one ) or CDC which can be done using triggers (meaning application schema changes which is not always allowed/supported by vendors) or streams, ODI does both.
Trigger based CDC is no good as its intrusive to apps schema, if you are ok with this - then this is the easiest way out, just keep in mind you can do your replication manually using scripts with this.
And if you consider streams as one of the options for replication then why do you need ODI as it uses streams for CDC anyway ?
The only reason that I can think of - saving on config efforts by doing all the config through ODI interface ? But you are going to end up supporting/maintaining streams anyway if you choose this option that I think you were trying to avoid.

Also read about limitations of using CDC with ODI, I can't find a link, this is smth about not supporting tables with joins or smth like that.

Regards,
SK
Previous Topic: Error in DBMS_REPCAT.ADD_MASTER_DATABASE
Next Topic: Manual Replication
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:57:26 CDT 2024