Home » Open Source » Programming Interfaces » Best language(s) to use for an online address book.
Best language(s) to use for an online address book. [message #494437] Mon, 14 February 2011 11:40 Go to next message
DataMouse
I'd like to create an online address book that allows the maintenance of contact records. Users should be able to manually insert records, edit records, search records, delete records, and merge duplicate records. Also, I'd like to offer the option of doing a bulk import using a CSV file or XLS file. Obviously I will need to use HTML and SQL. I also want to use PL/SQL. My question is: What other languages should I use? A friend of mine mentioned that C# would be a useful language to learn. What do you think? Any other advice would also be helpful. Thanks!
Re: Best language(s) to use for an online address book. [message #494445 is a reply to message #494437] Mon, 14 February 2011 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
2-tiers or 3-tiers application?

Regards
Michel
Re: Best language(s) to use for an online address book. [message #494448 is a reply to message #494445] Mon, 14 February 2011 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DataMouse
Well, I'm not really sure. I am doing this to get better at PL/SQL, SQL, and HTML, but it would be really good to learn C# and the .NET framework, also. If I do a 2-tier application, then would I not need C#? I'm thinking that I would need it no matter what, right? (and if not C#, then maybe something like PHP) I would imagine 2-tier would be fine for now, but what do you think? We're not talking about too much data from the start. I am going to be hosting it on my home computer for the time being.
Re: Best language(s) to use for an online address book. [message #494449 is a reply to message #494448] Mon, 14 February 2011 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DataMouse
I am reading this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multitier_architecture

So if I were to do a 3-tier architecture, then HTML would be the Presentation tier, C# would be the Logic tier, and PL/SQL & SQL would be the Data tier. Is this correct?
Re: Best language(s) to use for an online address book. [message #494450 is a reply to message #494449] Mon, 14 February 2011 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Client is the first tier, application server is the second tier, database server is the last one.
Programming languages are independant of the architecture.

Client and application makes the presentation, application server queries the database or call procedures in the database, database server returns data from the application server call.
A good and easy to make 3-tier application is PHP&Javascript <-> PHP&SQL <-> SQL&PL/SQL

Now the best language is the one you know.

Regards
Michel
Re: Best language(s) to use for an online address book. [message #529775 is a reply to message #494450] Wed, 02 November 2011 20:13 Go to previous message
tinger
To tell you honestly, choosing the best language to do this on will generally depend on which one you are most familiar with.

I mean, it would not matter to choose the most advanced language out there if you are not familiar with the standards and what things are going to be needed. So you can go with C and make the best out of it. I like Java with simple projects like this.
Previous Topic: Win 7; Oracle - PHP connection / please Help
Next Topic: Connect Oracle with PHP in 64 bit machine
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 03:37:28 CDT 2024