Home » Infrastructure » Unix » Migrating to OS X (Navicat Lite, 9.1.4, OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.6)
Migrating to OS X [message #495484] Sat, 19 February 2011 22:16 Go to next message
therevisnotdead
I apologize if this question is out of context/in the wrong forum, etc...

I am a student using Navicat Lite in Windows to manage databases. However, I use a Mac for pretty much every other task. So, I installed Navicat Lite for Mac but am having trouble getting it up and running. I imported my connections from Windows, but when I try to connect I get a "Connection Failed" error message.

I think this has something to do with the TNS listener... but I really don't know what I'm doing as I'm very new to this.

Should I have something in the TNS_ADMIN field under preferences?

Any help/explanation would be greatly appreciated!
Re: Migrating to OS X [message #495486 is a reply to message #495484] Sat, 19 February 2011 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>I am a student using Navicat Lite in Windows to
What is Navicat?

Post complete results of
SELECT * from v$version;

Re: Migrating to OS X [message #495488 is a reply to message #495484] Sat, 19 February 2011 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Yes, if you want to use one.
Hope you do have a valid client install.
For simplicity, I just use Oracle instant client and use same values for
ORACLE_HOME,DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH and TNS_ADMIN.
There should be a tnsnames.ora file in the TNS_ADMIN path that has valid entries to databases.
Else
just use the "basic" connection and fill all entries manually.
/forum/fa/8721/0/

PS:
I use highly customized environment with symlinks to all other tools from my custom ORACLE_HOME.
You can just use the "bundled instant client" and point it to TNS_ADMIN which has tnsnames.ora

[Updated on: Sat, 19 February 2011 23:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Migrating to OS X [message #495492 is a reply to message #495488] Sat, 19 February 2011 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
therevisnotdead
Thanks for the replies!

To answer BlackSwan, Navicat is a GUI for managing databases.

I can run any queries yet because I have no databases to run them on (or, I don't know how to without connecting first XD ). I can't connect using the connections I imported from the Windows version of Navicat.

Mahesh, I'm not sure if I could just use your values and replace your username with mine? I don't see any instantclient_x_x files in that directory when I check it. Here's my preference pane:
/forum/fa/8723/0/

I appreciate the help thus far.

Re: Migrating to OS X [message #495493 is a reply to message #495492] Sat, 19 February 2011 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
I updated my last post instead of replying again.
Quote:

I use highly customized environment with symlinks to all other tools from my custom ORACLE_HOME.
You can just use the "bundled instant client" and point it to TNS_ADMIN which has tnsnames.ora

In other words, use your own values.

>>I can run any queries yet because I have no databases to run them on
Oracle is not like mysql.
First you need a database. Locally or remote.
Then configure your tnsnames.ora file identified by TNS_ADMIN
or
just use basic values (supply host,oracle sid, port,username/password).

[Updated on: Sat, 19 February 2011 23:27]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Migrating to OS X [message #495494 is a reply to message #495493] Sun, 20 February 2011 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
therevisnotdead
Forgive me, I am still confused... I will explain in more detail.

I've run Navicat Lite in a Windows environment on my Mac, where I created and manipulated databases on a regular basis. All connections were working fine. I exported the connections and imported them into my OS X environment, and I'm getting this error:

ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified

I know I have to connect with TNS. I know I am missing something. You stated I need to create a database first. How do I do this? Sorry, I know that I'm really new to this still.
Re: Migrating to OS X [message #495497 is a reply to message #495494] Sun, 20 February 2011 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Check your tnsnames.ora.
Your environment is not properly configured.

http://ora-12154.ora-code.com/

Re: Migrating to OS X [message #495541 is a reply to message #495497] Sun, 20 February 2011 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
therevisnotdead
I can't find a TNSNAMES.ora file anywhere on my Mac. Also, I don't know which directory to look for it in.
Re: Migrating to OS X [message #495542 is a reply to message #495541] Sun, 20 February 2011 19:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
find / -name tnsnames.ora -print 2>/dev/null
Re: Migrating to OS X [message #495543 is a reply to message #495542] Sun, 20 February 2011 19:34 Go to previous message
therevisnotdead
So I just run that in Terminal?
Previous Topic: Login to Correct SID
Next Topic: Oracle User monitoring
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:18:22 CDT 2024