Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » ora-12514 (win sp2)
ora-12514 [message #507135] Thu, 12 May 2011 11:40 Go to next message
kalpataru
hi all,
when i am connecting to my database
in command prompt,sql * plus editor is it successfully connecting to the database but not connecting with the oracle client OEM.

but after connecting the LAN it is not connecting and also in the case when i am connecting to the internet through the USB datacard it is not connecting with the oracle client OEM.

how can i connect to database when the LAN,USB datacard
connection.

please reply.

[Updated on: Thu, 12 May 2011 11:43]

Report message to a moderator

Re: ora-12514 [message #507136 is a reply to message #507135] Thu, 12 May 2011 11:43 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
It would be helpful if you followed Posting Guidelines - http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/

Since Networking is involved, the basic assumption is that two distinct systems are involved.

For System1 post hostname, IP#, Operating System name & version & Oracle s/w version to 4 decimal places.
For System2 post hostname, IP#, Operating System name & version & Oracle s/w version to 4 decimal places.
Clarify which hostname is associated with DataBase (DB) Server system & which hostname with SQL Client.

From DB Server post content of listener.ora & sqlnet.ora (if either exist)
From DB Server post results from following commands
lsnrtcl status
lsnrctl service
sqlplus scott/tiger

From SQL Client post content of tnsnames.ora & sqlnet.ora (if either exist)
From SQL Client post results from following commands
tnsping <DB_alias>
ping <DBhostname>
sqlplus scott/tiger@<DB_alias>

ORA-12514 ALWAYS only occurs due to a problem on DB Server system.
One cause of this problem is when the Oracle database is down & needs to be started.
A remote client send a request to the Listener asking to be connected to a specific service.
If/when the listener does not know anything about that service, the listener responds with ORA-12514
Since every connection request to the listener gets logged, listener.log file will contain a line with 12514 as status code.
This line contains valuable debugging details. So post this line & surrounding lines.

[Updated on: Thu, 12 May 2011 11:44]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: ORA 12514
Next Topic: ORA-12541 and ORA 12560
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 07:25:47 CDT 2024