Home » Server Options » RAC & Failsafe » CRS is not starting (Oracle 11g R2)
CRS is not starting [message #526867] Thu, 13 October 2011 07:06 Go to next message
pankaj25sharmagmailcom
Hi,

I am getting problem while starting the CRS. Below is the necessary details:

1) I am using oracle 11g R2 RAC, with 2 node named RAC1 and RAC2
2) I have 3 diskgroup named DATA, DATA1, DATA2
3) OCR and voting disks are stored on ASM diskgroup

On node RAC1, CRS is started and /etc/oracle/ocr.loc is having the below entry:

ocrconfig_loc=+DATA
ocrmirrorconfig_loc=+DATA1

On node RAC2, CRS is stopped and /etc/oracle/ocr.loc is having the below entry:

ocrconfig_loc=+DATA
ocrmirrorconfig_loc=+DATA2

Please note the difference in "ocrmirrorconfig_loc". The difference was occured because I updated the OCR location on RAC1 when RAC2 was down.

Now I am trying to repair the RAC2 using below command. This command must be run as root user when HA service is started but CRS must be stopped.

ocrconfig -repair -replace +DAT2 -replacement +DATA1

but this showing error "PROT-21: Invalid parameter", because to run this command diskgroup must be mounted. But diskgroup cannot be mounted until the CRS start. SO this is a conflicting situation.

Please suggest how to overcome from this problem ?

Please let me know if you required any other details.
Re: CRS is not starting [message #527566 is a reply to message #526867] Tue, 18 October 2011 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mkounalis
Did you try modifying the ocr.loc on the second node to point to the correct location? I don't believe you need to execute a repair here . . . .
Re: CRS is not starting [message #527573 is a reply to message #527566] Wed, 19 October 2011 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pankaj25sharmagmailcom
Hi,

It really worked for me. Thanks a lot.....

Just want to know that, is it a good practice to update the ocr.loc manually ?

I also have some questions regarding RAC concepts:

1) As per my understanding, ocrconfig commands only updates the ocr.loc file on all the available nodes. Does it updates anywhere else also ?
2) As per my understanding, while clusterware is running, if we lost my all OCR, then crsd.bin would be stopped and it won't be restart automatically again due to unavailability of OCR. In this case we won't be able to use commands like srvctl, crsctl, and ocrconfig which interact with OCR using crsd.bin process.
But how will it affect other resources like database instance, listeners, scan, vips ? These all are still keep on running after losing all OCR and stopping the crsd.bin.
Re: CRS is not starting [message #527646 is a reply to message #527573] Wed, 19 October 2011 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mkounalis
I have never used ocrconfig to change the contents of the ocr.loc file - didn't even know that functionality existed. I believe that ocrconfig allows you to move the ocr itself and create backup copies. I have always manipulated ocr.loc by hand when needed.

Backups of the ocr are made regularly - you can use the ocrrepair to take a backup and over-right the ocr if it becomes corrupted. However, in all my years working on RAC systems, I have yet to see just the ocr become corrupted without some other disk structures becomes corrupted forcing a full system recovery.

If you loose the ocr completely, you will loose enough cluster functionality in my opinion that you would be forced to shut things down and try and fix what's going on. I would still believe that if you loose the ocr completely, you probably have other things going on that are of a bigger impact to your RAC cluster than just the ocr file itself - especially when the ocr is located inside of ASM.
Re: CRS is not starting [message #527734 is a reply to message #527646] Thu, 20 October 2011 00:12 Go to previous message
pankaj25sharmagmailcom
Hi,

Thanks for your explanation the questions.
Previous Topic: ocfs rpm mismatch my linux kernel issue
Next Topic: oracle 10g TAF fails for TOAD
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:59:47 CDT 2024