Home » Infrastructure » Linux » Differences between OEL and Redhat...and OEL and Unbreakable
Differences between OEL and Redhat...and OEL and Unbreakable [message #528902] Thu, 27 October 2011 11:05 Go to next message
johnk254
Sorry for the basic question on this but I can't seem to find an explanation anywhere.

Can someone explain...

1. What's the difference between OEL Linux and the same Redhat release ?

2. What is the difference between the standard OEL Linux release and the Unbreakable release ?

3. Is there a listing somewhere, of the specific changes made between the different releases ?

Thanks
J.K.
Re: Differences between OEL and Redhat...and OEL and Unbreakable [message #528915 is a reply to message #528902] Thu, 27 October 2011 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
This question bears no real connection with Oracle.
Please find a more appropriate forum.
The topic is locked.
If I'm wrong, please, PM me (or report this message to a moderator, explain why you think it should be unlocked and it might be done).

Regards
Michel
Re: Differences between OEL and Redhat...and OEL and Unbreakable [message #534590 is a reply to message #528915] Wed, 07 December 2011 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
From PM, something to clear the question:

Quote:
But I'm asking about the difference between Oracle Enterprise Linux (OEL) and Redhat's version of the same kernel.

I alos want to know that difference between the Oracle Enterprise Linux kernel and Oracle's Unbreakable kernel.

Regards
Michel
Re: Differences between OEL and Redhat...and OEL and Unbreakable [message #534596 is a reply to message #534590] Wed, 07 December 2011 11:18 Go to previous message
John Watson
OEL and RHEL are the same, up to 5.5. The way I think of it is that Oracle has done for Red Hat what Novell did for SUSE: package and support it properly. And of course the default installation is better suited to running Oracle DBs ub terms of kernel parameters and so on.
There is an issue with 6.x, in that Red Hat no longer provides the asmlib functionality, and you can't download asmlib for 6.x unless you are paying for OEL support. So going forward, if you want asmlib, you will have to use the OEL distribution.
Hope this helps.
Previous Topic: How can I sloved this problem:oracle 10g on fc5
Next Topic: Cannot modify limit: Operation not permitted
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:42:03 CDT 2024