Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » Is there a way to automate Oracle Reports? (Report Builder 6.0.8.19.0 / 10g backend / Running on Window PCs)
Is there a way to automate Oracle Reports? [message #542888] Fri, 10 February 2012 12:24 Go to next message
helles_angel
Hi there,

I'm trying to figure out a way to automate a job to execute several Oracle Reports to run at the end of every month and either email them to a list of people or possibly save them to a location on a network drive.

So far, from my limited and cruddy searching efforts, I've found a few threads to be somewhat helpful, but not fruitful enough to get the ball rolling as well as I had hoped.

At first, I started out with 2 avenues of thought:

1) The following link raised the option of an Oracle Scheduler, but from my research, the scheduler only runs database jobs, shell scripts, batch files, etc.:
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/?t=msg&goto=514015&168847/&srch=automate+oracle+report#msg_514015

2) I was thinking about possibly creating a database job of some sort to call the reports, but from the following link, I've determined that one cannot create+call a stored/database procedure to run Oracle Report files. So there goes my second hope.
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/?t=msg&goto=255759&168847/&srch=automate+oracle+report#msg_255759

So, it appears that the scheduler won't meet my requirements and now I think I'm almost out of options.

My last resort is creating a database job that queries required information and spooling the data + various formatting "stuff" into a txt file. Then, that txt file would be my report. This seems a little savage and I would like to think that there's a ay to automatically run an .REP against a database and save an electronic copy of the report somewhere.

Is it possible to automate the execution of Oracle Reports and then saving the report in a particular format (xls/pdf/rtf/etc.)? Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time Smile

[Updated on: Fri, 10 February 2012 12:26]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Is there a way to automate Oracle Reports? [message #542908 is a reply to message #542888] Fri, 10 February 2012 13:52 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
As you use Reports 6i, you could schedule RWRUN (I think it is RWRUN60.EXE) with your operating system scheduler (Task Manager on MS Windows) and then, once the report (PDF?) is created, you'd e-mail it to a recipient.

I'd suggest you to create a DOS batch script (for example, "run_report.bat") which you'd schedule in Task Manager. It would contain two lines:
rwrun report=monthly.rdf userid=scott/tiger@ora10 desformat=pdf DESTYPE=file DESNAME=c:\my_reports\monthly.pdf
mail ...

[Updated on: Fri, 10 February 2012 13:53]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: 'afterpform': Fatal PL/SQL error occurred, PL/SQL: numeric or value error
Next Topic: how to join head section ,main section and trailer section
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 15 23:35:30 CDT 2024