Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » Can same db runs on different hosts. (Oracle 11g R2, RHEL 6.)
Can same db runs on different hosts. [message #567873] Mon, 08 October 2012 01:47 Go to next message
chintan.patel
Hi Friends,

I have one production server with oracle 11g R2 DB. I have to change Server Hardware and thats why I have to install oracle 11g R2 DB on New hardware and test it. I had installed DB with software only option and copied the cold backup of production server. The hostname and ip address of both the servers are different. I had change the "db_domain" parameter into init.ora with the hostname.
Now my question is that can the same db runs on the same network with different hosts. Change of "db_domain" parameter into the init.ora is enough or i have to follow some other procedure.
Please suggest me.

Regards
Chintan
Re: Can same db runs on different hosts. [message #567874 is a reply to message #567873] Mon, 08 October 2012 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Yes, it is enough for most points.
You can also change the db_unique_name to be sure and dbid (using dbnewid tool) if you use RMAN with a catalog to backup.

Regards
Michel
Re: Can same db runs on different hosts. [message #567875 is a reply to message #567874] Mon, 08 October 2012 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chintan.patel
Thanks

I am not using RMAN, then "db_domain" is enough?

Regards
Chintan
Re: Can same db runs on different hosts. [message #567876 is a reply to message #567875] Mon, 08 October 2012 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
In addition to Michel's suggestions, I would also change the global name with ALTER DATBASE RENAME GLOBAL_NAME and be sure to checkout any external connections, such as database links.
Re: Can same db runs on different hosts. [message #567934 is a reply to message #567876] Mon, 08 October 2012 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chintan.patel
Hi John

I can successfully change the dbid and dbname using nic (dbnewid tool).
@ John as u suggest i am trying to change the global_name but it gives me an error ORA-01729: database link name expected.

Regards
Chintan
Re: Can same db runs on different hosts. [message #567937 is a reply to message #567934] Mon, 08 October 2012 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Wirks for me:
orcl> select * from global_name;

GLOBAL_NAME
---------------------------------------------------

ORCL

orcl> alter database rename global_name to george;

Database altered.

GLOBAL_NAME

GEORGE

orcl> alter database rename global_name to sammy;

Database altered.

GLOBAL_NAME

SAMMY

orcl> alter database rename global_name to henry;

Database altered.

orcl> alter database rename global_name to orcl;

Database altered.

orcl>
Re: Can same db runs on different hosts. [message #567944 is a reply to message #567937] Mon, 08 October 2012 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chintan.patel
Thanks John

When i select the query.

Quote:

select * from global_name;

GLOBAL_NAME
---------------------------------
TEST_DB.VBLIVEDATA.VB.COM

In above result, dbname "TEST_DB" is my new db name.
but it shows older domain name "VBLIVEDATA.VB.COM".
How can i resolve it.

Regards
Chintan
Re: Can same db runs on different hosts. [message #567946 is a reply to message #567944] Mon, 08 October 2012 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Execute the statements John did.

Regards
Michel
Re: Can same db runs on different hosts. [message #567948 is a reply to message #567944] Mon, 08 October 2012 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
orcl> alter database rename global_name to orcl.example.za;

Database altered.

GLOBAL_NAME
-----------------------------------------------------------------

ORCL.EXAMPLE.ZA

orcl> alter database rename global_name to use.your.initiative;

Database altered.

GLOBAL_NAME
-----------------------------------------------------------------

USE.YOUR.INITIATIVE

orcl>

Re: Can same db runs on different hosts. [message #567950 is a reply to message #567946] Mon, 08 October 2012 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chintan.patel
@ Michel i tried as john said and its works in case of only "TEST_DB" but not working in case of "TEST_DB.VBTESTDATA.VB.COM".
in which "TEST_DB" is my db_name and "VBTESTDATA.VB.COM" is my db_domain.

Regards
Chintan
Re: Can same db runs on different hosts. [message #567952 is a reply to message #567950] Mon, 08 October 2012 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Do you know what copy and paste mean?
Can't you post in the same way than John?

Regards
Michel
Re: Can same db runs on different hosts. [message #567954 is a reply to message #567952] Mon, 08 October 2012 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chintan.patel
Ok I will do it and post the result. Rightnow my test server is not available.

Thanks
Chintan
Re: Can same db runs on different hosts. [message #568335 is a reply to message #567954] Wed, 10 October 2012 23:57 Go to previous message
chintan.patel
@ Michel & John

Sorry for the late reply, but because of some hardware related problem my test server was not available for some time.
as you suggest i follow the steps and my problem is solved. I had successfully changed the dbid, dbname using dbnewid utility and change the global_name using alter database command.

Thanks
Chintan
Previous Topic: Unable to Connect to Local oracle DB (2 Merged)
Next Topic: Monitor Clients IP
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:11:54 CDT 2024