Home » Other » Community Hangout » Boston
Boston [message #582784] Mon, 22 April 2013 09:40 Go to next message
John Watson
I'm going to have spend most of May in America, probably half the time in Boston and the rest of the time in Rhode Island. With any luck, I'll have some evenings perhaps weekends free. I wondered if any of the Americans here can recommend anything interesting to do in Boston? Places to go or things to do that are enjoyable by yourself? I have no shame about doing touristy things.
The last occasion I was in America I didn't have time to do anything but work, this one may be different.
Re: Boston [message #582804 is a reply to message #582784] Mon, 22 April 2013 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
New England Aquarium.
Children's Museum (I didn't go with kids).
Faneuil Hall.

Those are just 3 things I remember going to. I alos went o see a baseball game at Fenway Park.
Re: Boston [message #582805 is a reply to message #582804] Mon, 22 April 2013 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_North_Church
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Constitution
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bunker_Hill
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIT_Museum
Re: Boston [message #582809 is a reply to message #582805] Mon, 22 April 2013 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Thanks, people. There is this thing they call they call the Freedom Trail which covers a lot of these, I'll try to do that (I said I have no shame about being a tourist) and for the rest, well, the Aquarium is across the road from the hotel I'm booked into so I must be able to manage that, and the MIT museum looks essential for a dweeb like me. I don't think I'll try any sport (cricket is a mystery to me, so I'ld have no chance with baseball) but some music would be nice. I have more than a feeling that there should be something there.
Re: Boston [message #582811 is a reply to message #582809] Mon, 22 April 2013 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
John Watson wrote on Mon, 22 April 2013 15:51
I have more than a feeling that there should be something there.

Hahahahaha, you probably do not realize the joke you just made, or maybe you did.
Re: Boston [message #582812 is a reply to message #582809] Mon, 22 April 2013 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
New England aquarium is worth for its giant ocean tank. Tank closed right now for renovation.
http://www.neaq.org/index.php
I would consider whale watch as an alternative.
If you want to grab a pint, Boston is full of them places. Visit northend and you will find everything Italian.
Since you don't mind to be a tourist, visit Niagara Falls with one of those 2 day bus tours from Chinatown,Boston.
The bus is bad, hotel is ugly but You do not have to drive and they will get the job done Smile

Rhode Island could keep you occupied. I myself just came from Newport(RI). Spent the day with kid visiting those mansions.
Re: Boston [message #582927 is a reply to message #582812] Tue, 23 April 2013 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
Mahesh Rajendran wrote on Mon, 22 April 2013 20:08

The bus is bad, hotel is ugly

This cracked me up Mahesh. I wonder if this is in the brochure Wink
It would seem John has limited time, so a 2 day excursion is out of the question I am sure.

Oh yeah, one more thing John. If it doesn't spook you, there are some really old cemeteries in Boston. I remember the Old Grannery Burial Ground where I think Paul Revere and John Hancock are buried.
Re: Boston [message #582935 is a reply to message #582927] Tue, 23 April 2013 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
A pity the the fish tank is empty.
I didn't know one could do whale watching, I used to to do a lot of that in SA. I shall be careful to avoid ships with names like Pequod.

But, JD, when you say "there are some really old cemeteries in Boston" that is so funny to a European. I just checked out the Granary Burying Ground, and the first stiff was planted in 1660. Gosh! The village church up the road from me is 12th century, man.
Re: Boston [message #582938 is a reply to message #582927] Tue, 23 April 2013 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> I wonder if this is in the brochure
The brochure is all about "sunshine".
Been to Niagara many times and once took that tourist bus as I was the only driver in that party and don't want to
drive all myself.Mine was not essentially a bad experience, but weird though. Those services are pretty booked up.
Don't understand why. Probably a tourist thingy.

[Updated on: Tue, 23 April 2013 13:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Boston [message #582951 is a reply to message #582935] Tue, 23 April 2013 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
John Watson wrote on Tue, 23 April 2013 10:05

But, JD, when you say "there are some really old cemeteries in Boston" that is so funny to a European. I just checked out the Granary Burying Ground, and the first stiff was planted in 1660. Gosh! The village church up the road from me is 12th century, man.

So true John, but as we all know, until Columbus came in 1492, we didn't have much of anything here.
And old to me is anything before about 1900 Wink
Re: Boston [message #582964 is a reply to message #582951] Tue, 23 April 2013 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
joy_division wrote on Tue, 23 April 2013 10:36

So true John, but as we all know, until Columbus came in 1492, we didn't have much of anything here.
And old to me is anything before about 1900 Wink

just last week I visited Chaco Canyon in northwest New Mexico; which was active 850 AD - 1250 AD

http://www.nps.gov/chcu/index.htm%20

http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/353

It was so far off pavement (20+ miles) that even my TOMTOM GPS Navigator got lost!

[Updated on: Tue, 23 April 2013 19:37]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Boston [message #585407 is a reply to message #582964] Fri, 24 May 2013 17:21 Go to previous message
John Watson
Finished with Boston - at last. Thankyou for the free-time suggestions, people. I acted on a few of them. In Boston, I took in most of the Freedom Trail, in not one but two guided tours. They were pretty good - and free! If I were writing the scripts, I would probably make the English a bit less villainous, but the only real problem was the pronunciation of "Faneuil". I was saying "Fan-oo-wee", but the locals make it rhyme with "Daniel". In RI, I did a tour (I have no shame about being a tourist) of Newport, but visited only one mansion: The Breakers, that horrific thing built by the Vanderbilt family. How anyone could produce such a repulsive demonstration of vulgarity without dying of shame is beyond me. For example, there is gold leaf everywhere. Except in one room, where the leaf isn't golf: it is platinum.
Home soon. Flight delays permitting.
Previous Topic: fire, evacuation, and return home
Next Topic: Annoying Video advertisements
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:23:27 CDT 2024