Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Recreate control files (windows, oracle 10)
Recreate control files [message #606038] Sat, 18 January 2014 01:18 Go to next message
boditza
Hello,
I recently copyed one db from one server to another. My method involves copying database files without control files and on the new server i recreate the service with oradim and after running the script for control files. The thing is i made a mistake when i created the control files and i forgot one database file. I got errors in alert log ORA-01110 and some others and then i realised i forgot it. The thing is i didn't know how to delete the control files and recreate them again so i copyed the db again, recreated the service and after that it worked. How can i delete control files and recreate them without having to recopy the db? In my case it took 8 hours each time i copied it. I tryed to manualy delete wrong control files and recreate them with the correct info but it sayd that they already exist
Re: Recreate control files [message #606039 is a reply to message #606038] Sat, 18 January 2014 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
The thing is i didn't know how to delete the control files

Which control files as you didn't copy them? Where do they come from?

Quote:
How can i delete control files and recreate them without having to recopy the db?

1/ Use del command
2/ Use CREATE CONTROLFILE statement.

But if you already more or less open the database you have to do again the whole process, and this time WITH control files.

And before doing ANYTHING like that, read:
Database Concepts
Database Backup and Recovery Basics
Database Backup and Recovery Reference
Database Backup and Recovery Advanced User's Guide

It is not an option, it is MANDATORY.

[Updated on: Sat, 18 January 2014 01:29]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Recreate control files [message #606040 is a reply to message #606039] Sat, 18 January 2014 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
boditza
I created the control files, i said so in the first topic, when i forgot to add the database file... Thus my problem. I wanted to recreate them and insert also the file i forgot. Practicly i created control files(with missing data), started the db, saw errors in alert, and wanted to recreate them with correct information.
P.s the db was moved from c drive to d thats why i had to recreate control files

[Updated on: Sat, 18 January 2014 02:02]

Re: Recreate control files [message #606042 is a reply to message #606040] Sat, 18 January 2014 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
I created the control files, i said so in the first topic

How?

Quote:
hus my problem. I wanted to recreate them

So do it in the same way.

Quote:
the db was moved from c drive to d thats why i had to recreate control files

No, you have not, you just have to rename the files.

Copy and paste all you did and got.

[Updated on: Sat, 18 January 2014 03:20]

Re: Recreate control files [message #606045 is a reply to message #606042] Sat, 18 January 2014 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
boditza
this is how i created them:
CREATE CONTROLFILE SET DATABASE "oradb" RESETLOGS NOARCHIVELOG
-- SET STANDBY TO MAXIMIZE PERFORMANCE
MAXLOGFILES 3
MAXLOGMEMBERS 3
MAXDATAFILES 100
MAXINSTANCES 1
MAXLOGHISTORY 226
LOGFILE
GROUP 1 'd:\xx\01.LOG' SIZE 512M,
GROUP 2 'd:\xx\02.LOG' SIZE 512M,
GROUP 3 'd:\xx\03.LOG' SIZE 512M
-- STANDBY LOGFILE
DATAFILE
'd:\xx\1.DBF',
'd:\xx\2.DBF',
'd:\xx\3.DBF'
CHARACTER SET WE8MSWIN1252;

just an example.. and i forgot to add 'd:\xx\4.DBF' and it was throwing errors in alert log. when i tried to recreate them the second time it said that there are already control files plus that there is an unknown database file 4.dbf. I didn't know how to delete them except manualy and that didn't work. And again my question is how can i recreate them if i created them wrong. I don't have the errors the errors i encountered noted down.
Re: Recreate control files [message #606048 is a reply to message #606045] Sat, 18 January 2014 04:45 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
I didn't know how to delete them except manualy

Just use rm/del command (of course the database must be down).
And to recreate them then use the same command (with all files, of course).

Previous Topic: Incremental backup type
Next Topic: When and why RMAN catalogs the files in recovery area during a Restore and Recovery?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:14:14 CDT 2024