Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » "//localhost/testdb" in tnsnames.ora
"//localhost/testdb" in tnsnames.ora [message #619710] Thu, 24 July 2014 12:32 Go to next message
PMSLIC
We've been setting up a backup system in our environment. Most databases connect fine. There are some that dont and we were told to use the following entry in our tnsnames.ora and it works fine. I've been trying to find documentation to explain it so I understand it but can't find it. Can someone here explain it to me or point me to the right documentation?

What work on some but not in other:

TESTDB.MYDOMAIN.COM =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = MYSERVER)(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = TESTDB)
)
)

This is what they used for those not working:

//localhost/TESTDB.MYDOMAIN.COM =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = MYSERVER)(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = TESTDB)
)
)

Re: "//localhost/testdb" in tnsnames.ora [message #619725 is a reply to message #619710] Thu, 24 July 2014 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Why should it work?
What does it intend to mean?

General Syntax of tnsnames.ora gives the basic syntax of an entry. The definition of a "net_service_name" is there, it says it is a "simple name" and does not give the allowed characters maybe because no one in Oracle thought that someone could put a '\' in a name.

[Updated on: Thu, 24 July 2014 13:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: "//localhost/testdb" in tnsnames.ora [message #619762 is a reply to message #619725] Thu, 24 July 2014 20:15 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
localhost can never be accessed by any remote client ever
Previous Topic: Listener status
Next Topic: Listener response to a TNS ping
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 09:40:12 CDT 2024