Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Max SGA Size on Windows
Max SGA Size on Windows [message #61480] Wed, 28 April 2004 03:23 Go to next message
CC Su
Hi,

If I have 8GB main memory and using /PAE parameter,I mean,I can see the 8GB in Settings ---[>] Control Panel ---[>] System ---[>]General.

I'd like to know the max limit for the SGA in a Windows 2000 Advanced Server architecture.

Thks & Best Regards,

Re: Max SGA Size on Windows [message #61481 is a reply to message #61480] Wed, 28 April 2004 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Hi,

As far as I understand Oracle supports more than 4 GB RAM with switches in Boot.ini (/3GB, /PAE) and the AWE_WINDOW_MEMORY registry parameter. Nevertheless, this will be an easy test, increase your DB_CACHE_SIZE (db_block_buffers in Oracle8i and earlier) parameter to say 6 Gig, try to restart your DB, and let us know the outcome.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Max SGA Size on Windows [message #289389 is a reply to message #61481] Fri, 21 December 2007 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oraclestew
Hi Frank, i read your response to the Max sga size on Windows systems and was wondering if you give me a bit more information. I know about the /3GB parameter in boot.ini, but what is the /PAE parameter, and what does irt enable the sga_max_size to be set to? If i have a Windows XP server, with 16GB of memory, and i want to increase the sga_max-size to about 8GB, would the /£GB or /PAE switch enable me to do this?
Thanks and Regards.
Re: Max SGA Size on Windows [message #289390 is a reply to message #289389] Fri, 21 December 2007 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
The first questions you have to ask you are "do I really need so much SGA memory, why and how can work with less memory?".

Regards
Michel
Re: Max SGA Size on Windows [message #289454 is a reply to message #61480] Fri, 21 December 2007 15:53 Go to previous message
halfydba
It's not actually Oracle that is supporting it. It is the Operating system allowing for the extention of addressable memory space to deal with the limitations of
1) The threaded architecture windows uses
2) 32-bit O/S addressable memory space. (Yes, this affects linux as well, but does not have the stupid windows threaded architecture, so there is less chance of reaching limitations)

Windows XP server does not support PAE. Metalink Note:225349.1 is the best resource you will find on this. Me personally, I would make sure I only used a 64-Bit Windows operating system.
Previous Topic: db server not allowing to insert or update.
Next Topic: Dropping undo tablespace after ORA-00376, 01110
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Sep 18 18:15:05 CDT 2024