Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » performance tuning novice
performance tuning novice [message #64943] Sun, 14 March 2004 19:13 Go to next message
Avi
Hi Guys,

I have worked a lot around sql,pl/sql but now I want to delve into Performance tuning from the sractch. I looked at Tom Kye website, and a couple of other sources..but everybody is giving a very scattered knowledge..of performance stuff.I want it from the very basics so I have a  string foundation. To start with the database structure I have books on OCP track of DBA -I fundamentals. From where shud I start the performance tuning that starts from the basics.

Two weeks from now I will be actively on Performance tuning track. and expectations from me are of very basic nature. So help.

and at the same time..CAn anybody tell me what r the tools that r used for Performance tuning. I have heard of DB Profiler but don't know much abt it.

Regards

Avi
Re: performance tuning novice [message #64949 is a reply to message #64943] Tue, 16 March 2004 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ilver
Hi Avi,

Start to get familar with the Cost Based Optimizer, CBO. A lot of info is available on OTN.
Even it's a tuff one to get to know, I think it can help you understand why storage layout, database parameter setting and so forth are essential and actually interesting.
- Good luck on your journey ;-)
/ilver
Re: performance tuning novice [message #64966 is a reply to message #64943] Thu, 18 March 2004 05:30 Go to previous message
Thiru
tools for Performance tuning :

i) sqlplus
ii) autotrace,sql_trace
iii) explain plan
iv) tkprof
v) v$ views
vi) statspack
vii) OS utilities like top

-Thiru
Previous Topic: Explain Plan - Query Performance Tuning
Next Topic: logging DDL statements, etc?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:04:05 CDT 2024