Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » Error while importing data IMP-00003: ORACLE error 1435
Error while importing data IMP-00003: ORACLE error 1435 [message #74743] Fri, 11 February 2005 01:03 Go to next message
Sankalpa
Hi,

I have been trying to import data from an export file.
source database=testdb1
target database=target
I performed the export using the command:
exp system/manage@testdb1 full=y rows=y file=exp1.dmp log=export.log
The export was successful.

I then performed a full import:
imp system/manager@target full=y file=exp1.dmp log=import.log
But I received the following error while importing:
IMP-00003: ORACLE error 1435 encountered
ORA-01435: user does not exist
Import terminated unsuccessfully
Usually, while performing a full import all the users and objects of the source database shoould be imported automatically. I don't understand why it is saying 'user does not exist'.

Somebody please help. It's very urgent. An early response would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sankalpa.
Re: Error while importing data IMP-00003: ORACLE error 1435 [message #74745 is a reply to message #74743] Fri, 11 February 2005 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>Usually, while performing a full import all the users and objects of the source database shoould be imported automatically. I don't understand why it is saying 'user does not exist'.
not always.
Unless the target database is a perfect clone ( including tablespace/datafiles names / disk allocation etc) it wont work. The general rule is always precreate the users with assigned tablespaces ( and underlying datafiles).
I personally prefer to import one-user at a time ( if the user has objects and of some importance) using fromuser / touser options. Because it gives ME more control.
Look at the import.log file. It should indicate why the user does not exist.
Re: Error while importing data IMP-00003: ORACLE error 1435 [message #74747 is a reply to message #74745] Fri, 11 February 2005 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sankalpa
Hi Mr.Mahesh,

Thank you very much for the reply. I appreciate it. But, I still have few issues.

So you mean to say that the full import option does not always import all the objects from source database to target database?

Here's the deal. I have two databases A and B. Database A has two users u1 and u2. u1's default tablespace is ts1. Now, I would like to import u1 and u2 to database B which is not working with the full import option. So, if I specify transport_tablespace=y, tablespaces='ts1',(imp system/manager@target full=y file=exp1.dmp log=import.log transport_tablespace=y,tablespaces='ts1'), will it serve the purpose or should I still specify the fromuser/touser options? Also will the user u1 in the target database also have the default tablespace as ts1?

Please lemme know.

Thanks again,
Sankalpa
Re: Error while importing data IMP-00003: ORACLE error 1435 [message #74748 is a reply to message #74747] Fri, 11 February 2005 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>>So you mean to say that the full import option does not always import all the objects from source database to target database?

I didnt say that.
what i meant is fullimport assumes a lot.
for example, it will try to create tablespaces as in source datbase.

>>So, if I specify transport_tablespace=y, tablespaces='ts1',(imp system/manager@target full=y file=exp1.dmp log=import.log transport_tablespace=y,tablespaces='ts1'),

wait.
If you are using transportable tablespaces it is a very different case.
Are you using a transportable tablespace?

>> Now, I would like to import u1 and u2 to database B

for this,
first, precreate the tablespaces used by u1 and u2 in databaseB.
create the users u1 and u2 in databaseB ( with all the nessary rights/privs/roles/tablespace quota etc as in databaseA).
now do the export and then import case by case

exp system/manager@databaseA full=y file=myfile.dmp
imp system/manager@databaseB file=myfile.dmp fromuser=u1 touser=u1
imp system/manager@databaseB file=myfile.dmp fromuser=u2 touser=u2

>>Also will the user u1 in the target database also have the default tablespace as ts1?

upto you.
you can have anything you want.
in target database databaseB,
create tablespace something_tablespace.
assignt this tablespace to user u1 as default tablespace.
make sure you have not granted RESOURCE ROLE to u1 in databaseB.( RESOURCE role will allow the user to create objects in any available tablespace).
grant just SESSION ROLE and individual privs.

to do import.
imp system/manager@databaseB file=myfile.dmp fromuser=u1 touser=u1

now all object that are created for u1 in target databaseB is created in his default tablespace something_tablespace.
Note:
had you granted the RESOURCE role to u1 in databaseB,
during import the objects will be created in tablespace ts1 (if it is available in target database.) becuase ts1 is the tablespace defined in the soource databaseA.
Re: Error while importing data IMP-00003: ORACLE error 1435 [message #74749 is a reply to message #74748] Fri, 11 February 2005 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sankalpa
Ok. I tried to do things the way you said(created tablespaces,created users and assigned them to the default tablespaces and then performed the import using fromuser/touser options). It worked fine. All the data was imported from source to the target database.

">>>So you mean to say that the full import option does not always import all the objects from source database to target database?

I didnt say that.
what i meant is fullimport assumes a lot."

Does it mean that full import assumes that the tablespaces and users are already created in the target database? Also, is there any way to transport the users and tablespaces and all the info from the source database automatically to the target database?
Re: Error while importing data IMP-00003: ORACLE error 1435 [message #74755 is a reply to message #74749] Sat, 12 February 2005 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>Does it mean that full import assumes that the tablespaces and users are
already created in the target database?

NO.
Please find more information in documentation.

>>is there any way to transport
>>the users and tablespaces and all the info from the source database
>>automatically to the target database?
THIS A VERY BROAD QUESTION.
And a broad answer is YES.
But depends on how you do it?

Method 1: RMAN Cloning / duplication.

Use RMAN to backup and to duplicate the sourceDB to sometargetDB in same machine or in another machine.
This is very flexible.
you can duplicate whole or part of database.
Most importanly, you can do a point-in-time duplication. ie, you can ask RMAN
to clone the sourceDB w.r.to some point-in-time ( like ' do the cloning as of 2days,2hours,2 mins before).

Method 2: replication

the database or part of database is automatically or manually refereshed between two databases.

method 3: transportable tablespaces.

these are plug-and-play tablespaces.

A google search led me to
http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/9i/TransportableTablespaces9i.php

quoting from above URL.

Transportable tablespaces were introduced in Oracle8i to allow whole tablespaces to be copied between databases in the time it takes to copy the datafiles. In Oracle8i one of the restrictions was that the block size of both databases must be the same. In Oracle9i the introduction of multiple block sizes has removed this restriction.
Re: Error while importing data IMP-00003: ORACLE error 1435 [message #163700 is a reply to message #74743] Sat, 18 March 2006 06:03 Go to previous message
rp_agr

YOU HAVE TO IMPORT IT TWO TIMES
FIRST TIMES YOU WILL WRITE

imp system/manager@target full=y file=exp1.dmp log=import.log INCTYPE=SYSTEM

This command will create all users etc in the database

then you will write
imp system/manager@target full=y file=exp1.dmp log=import.log INCTYPE=restore

it will import actual data.

Ravi Prakash Aggarwal
rp_agr17@rediffmail.com
Previous Topic: loading into a table using sqlldr - signed numbers
Next Topic: transportable tablespace error