Home » Infrastructure » Other Operating Systems » ORACLE: Migration from OpenVMS to Windows 2000
ORACLE: Migration from OpenVMS to Windows 2000 [message #101750] Mon, 26 January 2004 11:41 Go to next message
Jamie
Hi all,

Could you please point me to some information where I can get the migration preview to move Oracle 8i to Oracle 8i from OpenVMS to Oracle 8i for winodws 2000

Thanks much for your prompt response.

Jamie
Re: ORACLE: Migration from OpenVMS to Windows 20 [message #101754 is a reply to message #101750] Tue, 17 February 2004 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ritendra Srivastava
Jamie,

You are planning to migrate from VMS to Windows OR do a fresh installation of Oracle on Windows and then import the export from VMS into Windows setup ?

Ritendra
Re: ORACLE: Migration from OpenVMS to Windows 20 [message #101779 is a reply to message #101754] Tue, 14 December 2004 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Francisco
nesecito informacion de como pasar una plataforma vms a unix o windows xp
Re: ORACLE: Migration from OpenVMS to Windows 2000 [message #101780 is a reply to message #101750] Fri, 17 December 2004 01:34 Go to previous message
Michael Hartley

Hi

Firstly review the VMS database and parameters for any sign of VMS file system interactions, other than the obvious database files (control, redo, tablespace, standby archive log, archive log, standby redo, on and on).

When you have resolved the file interation mappings from VMS to Windows, start planning your test environment.

The Test environment must be an exact copy of the target Win2000 production environment, although the capacity, performance and redundancy can all be different.

Iterate through a number of test builds of the database, test all applications against the test database. When you are finally convinced the tests have worked, when the business group that use the applications have agreed the tests worked and signed a migration document to that effect, then plan the production migration.

When the new production is built, again test using an experienced application user, before going live. This test is usually a read only test to confirm configuration of the network and accessibility of the appliation functionality.

clearly I've skipped most of the detail, but I've given you a very broad approach.

Michael Hartley

http://www.openfieldsolutions.co.uk
Previous Topic: NET SEND Windows to Linux machines?
Next Topic: Mapping files in VMS
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:43:55 CDT 2024