Home » Infrastructure » Other Operating Systems » How can I verify TNS(OS/390) is up
How can I verify TNS(OS/390) is up [message #113599] Mon, 08 January 2001 04:39 Go to next message
Fred Orenics
How can we verify (from a PC or a Unix box) that the TNS address space is up on the OS/390? We currently do not have to have a DB up on the 390. We only need to use SQLNET from the 390 to a Unix box. We do not have Patrol, OEM or any other monitoring tool on the 390.
Re: How can I verify TNS(OS/390) is up [message #113600 is a reply to message #113599] Mon, 08 January 2001 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Will
: How can we verify (from a PC or a Unix box) that the TNS address space is up on the OS/390? We currently do not have to have a DB up on the 390. We only need to use SQLNET from the 390 to a Unix box. We do not have Patrol, OEM or any other monitoring tool on the 390.

If you have SQLPlus installed on your PC, you can execute tnsping.exe at the DOS prompt. tnsping.exe is located in ORANTBIN. You can setup DOS script that executes tnsping.exe and check all your listeners rather quickly.
Re: How can I verify TNS(OS/390) is up [message #113601 is a reply to message #113600] Mon, 08 January 2001 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fred Orenics
: : How can we verify (from a PC or a Unix box) that the TNS address space is up on the OS/390? We currently do not have to have a DB up on the 390. We only need to use SQLNET from the 390 to a Unix box. We do not have Patrol, OEM or any other monitoring tool on the 390.

: If you have SQLPlus installed on your PC, you can execute tnsping.exe at the DOS prompt. tnsping.exe is located in ORANTBIN. You can setup DOS script that executes tnsping.exe and check all your listeners rather quickly.

Jim,
I thought that TNSPING checked for the DB not the TNS address space? If we do not have a DB STC running won't it fail? I am checking it now.
Re: How can I verify TNS(OS/390) is up [message #113602 is a reply to message #113601] Tue, 09 January 2001 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Will
: : : How can we verify (from a PC or a Unix box) that the TNS address space is up on the OS/390? We currently do not have to have a DB up on the 390. We only need to use SQLNET from the 390 to a Unix box. We do not have Patrol, OEM or any other monitoring tool on the 390.

: : If you have SQLPlus installed on your PC, you can execute tnsping.exe at the DOS prompt. tnsping.exe is located in ORANTBIN. You can setup DOS script that executes tnsping.exe and check all your listeners rather quickly.

: Jim,
: I thought that TNSPING checked for the DB not the TNS address space? If we do not have a DB STC running won't it fail? I am checking it now.

Fred,

You are right.Both the TNS and DB STCs must be running and the START NET.MPMTNS command must have been issued.
Re: How can I verify TNS(OS/390) is up [message #113606 is a reply to message #113602] Wed, 17 January 2001 05:49 Go to previous message
Fred Orenics
: : : : How can we verify (from a PC or a Unix box) that the TNS address space is up on the OS/390? We currently do not have to have a DB up on the 390. We only need to use SQLNET from the 390 to a Unix box. We do not have Patrol, OEM or any other monitoring tool on the 390.

: : : If you have SQLPlus installed on your PC, you can execute tnsping.exe at the DOS prompt. tnsping.exe is located in ORANTBIN. You can setup DOS script that executes tnsping.exe and check all your listeners rather quickly.

: : Jim,
: : I thought that TNSPING checked for the DB not the TNS address space? If we do not have a DB STC running won't it fail? I am checking it now.

: Fred,

: You are right.Both the TNS and DB STCs must be running and the START NET.MPMTNS command must have been issued.

Back to the original question (and restrictions). I want to check the state of the TNS address space when there is NO database address space up and running. This is because we do not need the DB up if we are just running batch to access a DB on a Unix platform.
Previous Topic: Archive Log Mode and Recovery Manager
Next Topic: ora-1012
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 20:31:59 CDT 2024