Home » Infrastructure » Other Operating Systems » DB2 to Oracle conversion on OS/390
DB2 to Oracle conversion on OS/390 [message #113890] Sat, 03 May 2003 19:06 Go to next message
James Kinder
Does anyone have any information or experience of converting DB2 to Oracle?
Re: DB2 to Oracle conversion on OS/390 [message #113891 is a reply to message #113890] Sat, 03 May 2003 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Harper
: Does anyone have any information or experience of converting DB2 to Oracle?

James,

* Yes, I've converted some DB2 applications to Oracle and vice-versa. Pro*Cobol and CICS are the typical structure; however, I've seen Cobol to PL/SQL at two shops. If you are interested about evaluating a conversion effort, I can email you some documentation that I've done for other customers and I'm always happy to talk to someone about databases.

* If CICS is part of the equation, you must purchase or negotiate for free the CICS Access Manager product. It's the stub that works like DB2's RCT and allows CICS to become the coordinator of 2-phase commits, without it, things could get ugly.

* I'm sure I've got some scripts for making DCLGENs out of Oracle. I also have some queries that will hit the DB2 Catalog and produce Oracle DDL table, index, and synonym creates. One other thing was unloading all of the data with DSNTIAUL, then generating the SQL Loader syntax for each table.

* Also I wrote an ISPF application with a backend Rexx that uses IBM's Spufi panels to invoke SQL Plus (yeah, it was a slap in the face to IBM). But programmers were happy to have their output automatically saved to a dataset and they could even do the three semicolons with a PF3 to skip the intermediate screens. It was almost transparent to the programmers that they had switched to Oracle.

* If you use QMF, wow, there's some serious work to get over to SQL Plus. SQL Plus is free from Oracle and is a very sophisticated report writer with control break capabilities just like QMF, without the .query and .forms.

* Hopefully you don't have a lot of stored procedures or triggers yet in DB2, they would involve some work to convert too.

* If your company is serious about a conversion effort to Oracle, SIG attendance is a must. You'll make all kinds of contacts and get ideas about conversion scenarios. It's a small group, but we've all got interesting stories to tell, that and there is no Oracle OS/390 classes offered by Oracle.

Hope this helps,
Eric Harper
Re: DB2 to Oracle conversion [message #113964 is a reply to message #113891] Fri, 10 October 2003 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shankar Hegde
Hello Eric,

your insight is very good. I am supposed to start work on migrating an application package from DB2(OS/390) to Oracle 8 on Sun Solaris and was wondering about
1) any tools availability for the data migration (apart from the respective export/import SQL*Loader like tools) and
2) technical issues

The package version is the same so the challenge is with the data and interfaces written in Cobol.

Am very comfortable with Oracle but have little knowledge of the M/F. Any thoughts you can share?

Thanks
Shankar

: : Does anyone have any information or experience of converting DB2 to Oracle?

: James,

: * Yes, I've converted some DB2 applications to Oracle and vice-versa. Pro*Cobol and CICS are the typical structure; however, I've seen Cobol to PL/SQL at two shops. If you are interested about evaluating a conversion effort, I can email you some documentation that I've done for other customers and I'm always happy to talk to someone about databases.

: * If CICS is part of the equation, you must purchase or negotiate for free the CICS Access Manager product. It's the stub that works like DB2's RCT and allows CICS to become the coordinator of 2-phase commits, without it, things could get ugly.

: * I'm sure I've got some scripts for making DCLGENs out of Oracle. I also have some queries that will hit the DB2 Catalog and produce Oracle DDL table, index, and synonym creates. One other thing was unloading all of the data with DSNTIAUL, then generating the SQL Loader syntax for each table.

: * Also I wrote an ISPF application with a backend Rexx that uses IBM's Spufi panels to invoke SQL Plus (yeah, it was a slap in the face to IBM). But programmers were happy to have their output automatically saved to a dataset and they could even do the three semicolons with a PF3 to skip the intermediate screens. It was almost transparent to the programmers that they had switched to Oracle.

: * If you use QMF, wow, there's some serious work to get over to SQL Plus. SQL Plus is free from Oracle and is a very sophisticated report writer with control break capabilities just like QMF, without the .query and .forms.

: * Hopefully you don't have a lot of stored procedures or triggers yet in DB2, they would involve some work to convert too.

: * If your company is serious about a conversion effort to Oracle, SIG attendance is a must. You'll make all kinds of contacts and get ideas about conversion scenarios. It's a small group, but we've all got interesting stories to tell, that and there is no Oracle OS/390 classes offered by Oracle.

: Hope this helps,
: Eric Harper
Re: DB2 to Oracle conversion on OS/390 [message #113966 is a reply to message #113891] Mon, 03 November 2003 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
subbarao
Hi James,

can you send me info. abt. the conersion from
db2 to Oracle. Are there any free tools available
to do this job.

thanks,
Subbarao
Re: DB2 to Oracle conversion on OS/390 [message #113968 is a reply to message #113966] Thu, 20 November 2003 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Narendra Parimi
Hi James,
can you send me info. abt. the conersion from
db2 to Oracle. Are there any free tools available
to do this job.

thanks and regards,
narendra
Re: DB2 to Oracle conversion on OS/390 [message #113969 is a reply to message #113891] Wed, 26 November 2003 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shanmuga Babu
: : Does anyone have any information or experience of converting DB2 to Oracle?

: James,

: * Yes, I've converted some DB2 applications to Oracle and vice-versa. Pro*Cobol and CICS are the typical structure; however, I've seen Cobol to PL/SQL at two shops. If you are interested about evaluating a conversion effort, I can email you some documentation that I've done for other customers and I'm always happy to talk to someone about databases.

: * If CICS is part of the equation, you must purchase or negotiate for free the CICS Access Manager product. It's the stub that works like DB2's RCT and allows CICS to become the coordinator of 2-phase commits, without it, things could get ugly.

: * I'm sure I've got some scripts for making DCLGENs out of Oracle. I also have some queries that will hit the DB2 Catalog and produce Oracle DDL table, index, and synonym creates. One other thing was unloading all of the data with DSNTIAUL, then generating the SQL Loader syntax for each table.

: * Also I wrote an ISPF application with a backend Rexx that uses IBM's Spufi panels to invoke SQL Plus (yeah, it was a slap in the face to IBM). But programmers were happy to have their output automatically saved to a dataset and they could even do the three semicolons with a PF3 to skip the intermediate screens. It was almost transparent to the programmers that they had switched to Oracle.

: * If you use QMF, wow, there's some serious work to get over to SQL Plus. SQL Plus is free from Oracle and is a very sophisticated report writer with control break capabilities just like QMF, without the .query and .forms.

: * Hopefully you don't have a lot of stored procedures or triggers yet in DB2, they would involve some work to convert too.

: * If your company is serious about a conversion effort to Oracle, SIG attendance is a must. You'll make all kinds of contacts and get ideas about conversion scenarios. It's a small group, but we've all got interesting stories to tell, that and there is no Oracle OS/390 classes offered by Oracle.

: Hope this helps,
: Eric Harper

Hi Eric,

I am involved in DB2 to Oracle conversion project. Can you please provide me the information about (1) Conversion Effort (2) Conversion Strategy etc.,

Thanks
Babu
Re: DB2 to Oracle conversion on OS/390 [message #113981 is a reply to message #113969] Mon, 16 February 2004 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kapil
: : : Does anyone have any information or experience of converting DB2 to Oracle?

: : James,

: : * Yes, I've converted some DB2 applications to Oracle and vice-versa. Pro*Cobol and CICS are the typical structure; however, I've seen Cobol to PL/SQL at two shops. If you are interested about evaluating a conversion effort, I can email you some documentation that I've done for other customers and I'm always happy to talk to someone about databases.

: : * If CICS is part of the equation, you must purchase or negotiate for free the CICS Access Manager product. It's the stub that works like DB2's RCT and allows CICS to become the coordinator of 2-phase commits, without it, things could get ugly.

: : * I'm sure I've got some scripts for making DCLGENs out of Oracle. I also have some queries that will hit the DB2 Catalog and produce Oracle DDL table, index, and synonym creates. One other thing was unloading all of the data with DSNTIAUL, then generating the SQL Loader syntax for each table.

: : * Also I wrote an ISPF application with a backend Rexx that uses IBM's Spufi panels to invoke SQL Plus (yeah, it was a slap in the face to IBM). But programmers were happy to have their output automatically saved to a dataset and they could even do the three semicolons with a PF3 to skip the intermediate screens. It was almost transparent to the programmers that they had switched to Oracle.

: : * If you use QMF, wow, there's some serious work to get over to SQL Plus. SQL Plus is free from Oracle and is a very sophisticated report writer with control break capabilities just like QMF, without the .query and .forms.

: : * Hopefully you don't have a lot of stored procedures or triggers yet in DB2, they would involve some work to convert too.

: : * If your company is serious about a conversion effort to Oracle, SIG attendance is a must. You'll make all kinds of contacts and get ideas about conversion scenarios. It's a small group, but we've all got interesting stories to tell, that and there is no Oracle OS/390 classes offered by Oracle.

: : Hope this helps,
: : Eric Harper

: Hi Eric,

: I am involved in DB2 to Oracle conversion project. Can you please provide me the information about (1) Conversion Effort (2) Conversion Strategy etc.,

: Thanks
: Babu
DB2 to Oracle conversion on OS/390 [message #113982 is a reply to message #113981] Tue, 09 March 2004 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Enrique
Hola un favor oye no si si tienes informacion que pueda acceder a traves de la web, sobre empresas que vendan productos para convertir, DB2 a Oracle, como funciones, triger, procedimientos,etc espero que me ayudes porque en si necesito esa informacion con urgencia
Gracias
does anyone have any information or expriences of comparing between oracle on os/390 and db2 on os/3 [message #114055 is a reply to message #113969] Mon, 21 June 2004 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sany
hi,
I want to know about performance of cics application with oracle on os/390 in compare with
cics pplications with db2 os/390.
please advise me ,if anyone has any information or expriences.
sincerely
sany
Re: DB2 to Oracle conversion on OS/390 [message #114149 is a reply to message #113891] Wed, 22 September 2004 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leon Heutmekers
eric,

Would be interested in the scripts/doc that make up the following part of a DB2 to Oracle migration.

Thanks,

Re: DB2 to Oracle conversion on OS/390 [message #155392 is a reply to message #113891] Sun, 15 January 2006 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kalyanogle
Hi James,

I need some document which help me in datamigration from DB2 AS400 to oracle,

thanks

Kalyan
Re: DB2 to Oracle conversion on OS/390 [message #217214 is a reply to message #113981] Thu, 01 February 2007 03:50 Go to previous message
ulhassk

Eric,
This is Ulhas involved in cobol to pl/sql conversion. So could you please help me in this? also I request you to send me if you have any supporting documents, material e.,

Thanks
Ulhassk@rediffmail.com
Previous Topic: Oracle 8i on a G5 machine
Next Topic: Datediff translation in 10G
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:15:20 CDT 2024