Home » Infrastructure » Other Operating Systems » SQL*Plus edit pds
SQL*Plus edit pds [message #113892] Sat, 03 May 2003 19:10 Go to next message
Steve Runtsch
In Oracle7 SQL*Plus, on our OS/390 systems, command "edit abc123" takes the user to ISPF editor, data set uid.ORACLE.SQL, member ABC123. (The value of EDITFILE is "ORACLE", and SUFFIX is "SQL".)

In Oracle8 SQL*Plus, the same command takes the user to ISPF editor, data set uid.ABC123.SQL.

I can't find a reason in Oracle7 books why ABC123 is used as a PDS member name instead of an override for EDITFILE, but users like it that way and want Oracle8 to behave the same.

How can I make Oracle8 work like Oracle7?
Re: SQL*Plus edit pds [message #113923 is a reply to message #113892] Wed, 11 June 2003 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Gillespie
: In Oracle7 SQL*Plus, on our OS/390 systems, command "edit abc123" takes the user to ISPF editor, data set uid.ORACLE.SQL, member ABC123. (The value of EDITFILE is "ORACLE", and SUFFIX is "SQL".)

: In Oracle8 SQL*Plus, the same command takes the user to ISPF editor, data set uid.ABC123.SQL.

: I can't find a reason in Oracle7 books why ABC123 is used as a PDS member name instead of an override for EDITFILE, but users like it that way and want Oracle8 to behave the same.

: How can I make Oracle8 work like Oracle7?

Steve,

I use a clist to run sqlplus. In the clist I allocate an ORA$FNA dataset. This is what is in the dataset;
FSA ( FTYPE(SQL) FNAME ('/DSN/PDPJN.ORA.SQL(+)') ) This acts like your version 7 did.

Jim Gillespie
Re: SQL*Plus edit pds [message #113924 is a reply to message #113923] Wed, 11 June 2003 11:34 Go to previous message
Jim Gillespie
: : In Oracle7 SQL*Plus, on our OS/390 systems, command "edit abc123" takes the user to ISPF editor, data set uid.ORACLE.SQL, member ABC123. (The value of EDITFILE is "ORACLE", and SUFFIX is "SQL".)

: : In Oracle8 SQL*Plus, the same command takes the user to ISPF editor, data set uid.ABC123.SQL.

: : I can't find a reason in Oracle7 books why ABC123 is used as a PDS member name instead of an override for EDITFILE, but users like it that way and want Oracle8 to behave the same.

: : How can I make Oracle8 work like Oracle7?

: Steve,

: I use a clist to run sqlplus. In the clist I allocate an ORA$FNA dataset. This is what is in the dataset;
: FSA ( FTYPE(SQL) FNAME ('/DSN/PDPJN.ORA.SQL(+)') ) This acts like your version 7 did.

: Jim Gillespie
Previous Topic: Do use persistent connections or new connections to Oracle for DB calls
Next Topic: Oracle on Z series Linux
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:02:15 CDT 2024