Home » Infrastructure » Other Operating Systems » Converting IDMS to Oracle on OS390
Converting IDMS to Oracle on OS390 [message #113917] Wed, 11 June 2003 07:15 Go to next message
KLappin
We are looking at replacing our Mainframe IDMS database and online ADS screens and maps with Oracle - still on the Mainframe. My question to you - if you had it to do over, would you use Oracle on zOS or OS/390 today?
Re: Converting IDMS to Oracle on OS390 [message #113918 is a reply to message #113917] Wed, 11 June 2003 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Gillespie
: We are looking at replacing our Mainframe IDMS database and online ADS screens and maps with Oracle - still on the Mainframe. My question to you - if you had it to do over, would you use Oracle on zOS or OS/390 today?

I would use zOS as it is the latest from IBM and thus will be supported longer.
Re: Converting IDMS to Oracle on OS390 [message #113925 is a reply to message #113918] Wed, 11 June 2003 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KLappin
: : We are looking at replacing our Mainframe IDMS database and online ADS screens and maps with Oracle - still on the Mainframe. My question to you - if you had it to do over, would you use Oracle on zOS or OS/390 today?

: I would use zOS as it is the latest from IBM and thus will be supported longer.

: OK -- but do you like using Oracle on the Mainframe? Would that other relational DB be better -- or Oracle on a server?
Re: Converting IDMS to Oracle on OS390 [message #113927 is a reply to message #113925] Mon, 16 June 2003 01:02 Go to previous message
paul mansfield
Hi,
we run Oracle on the mainframe with a lot of development systems on AIX boxes. We do find the mainframe far more stable. It has a smaller user population than other platforms and thus it is easier to hit new bugs. But then on the positive side, Oracle do seem to fix the mainframe bugs more quickly (probably the diagnostics for the mainframe are far better!).
There have been a few very flaky releases of Oracle - we're currently on 8.1.7.4 OSDI which has been quite stable.
It's hard for me to compare it with DB2 - my guess is that DB2 would be a bit more stable with a larger user base while Oracle may work a bit faster and have a few more features.
A lot of work has gone into that last few mainframe releases of Oracle but I would recommend that if you take the Oracle route don't take a 'hot off the press' release. The other issue is how are you going to access the database. We use Access manager for CICS for some of our users and Forms for others. Forms is very heavy. If you'd like to mail me you are mor ethan welcome.
Previous Topic: Oracle on Z series Linux
Next Topic: Problem in connecting Oracle8i client with server
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:54:22 CDT 2024