Home » Open Source » MySQL » Oracle and MySQL
Oracle and MySQL [message #125989] Thu, 30 June 2005 06:48 Go to next message
bluebeta
Hi,

We have 1 application that use the oracle 9i database. now we want to take out the registration module and translate it into web module that can be accessed through the internet.the web module may need to use the MySQL as a database.

So, our concern now is the security. We suggest to use the same database for the web module. But the client scared that if the web module directly connect to the oracle databse server, then the oracle server may be accessed by unauthorised internet user through the web module. Is it possible to happen? Please give me some advice on this matter?

Then they suggest to use the MySQL and then push the data to oracle databse using REPLICATION. So, is it possible to do replication between MySQL and Oracle database? Is it the replication module is an independent module and need to purchase or come with the database?

Can give me some suggestions or advice regarding this matter. Or provide me some others alternative way. I really need some help.

Thanks in advance for any reply.

Best Regard,
Andrene
Re: Oracle and MySQL [message #126350 is a reply to message #125989] Mon, 04 July 2005 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Achchan
Hi,
Does your client think Mysql is safe than Oracle?! google "Mysql security" and enjoy results!
However AFAIK there is not a generic way to do replication between Oracle and Mysql.(Maybe some 3rd party tools?)
You can do a mysqldump to put your data in CSV files and then enter them to Oracle using Loader.
Oh I forgot: Glance Microsoft SQL Server's DTS as a tool for transfering data between diff platforms too.I don't recommend it ofcourse;)
Re: Oracle and MySQL [message #126437 is a reply to message #125989] Mon, 04 July 2005 08:26 Go to previous message
Frank
Why can't the webmodule access the Oracle database? Why would you need a mySQL database anyway?
What functionality of the mysql-database can't Oracle provide?

hth
Previous Topic: Retrieve Mysql table data in XML to Oracle
Next Topic: advantages of oracle on mysql
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:16:25 CDT 2024