Home » Server Options » Replication » Materialized views or replication or ... ?
icon5.gif  Materialized views or replication or ... ? [message #158362] Fri, 10 February 2006 03:42 Go to next message
tchu
Hello,

I'm facing a little problem. Here it is :
I have 150 tables on Oracle 9i, with approximatively 5Go space.
My need is to be able to take a snapshot of my database at any moment and to keep it, which means that each snapshot could be requested at any moment.
The question is : which is the best solution to implement this fonctionality ?
I was thinking about "materialized views" of each tables, which doesn't seem easy to maintain.
Is replication a good idea ?
Or are there any other better solutions ?
Thanx for any help.

Tchu
Re: Materialized views or replication or ... ? [message #158408 is a reply to message #158362] Fri, 10 February 2006 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vbob
Database backup?
Or migrate to 10g and use flash database feature

Vadim Bobrov
Oracle Database Tools
http://www.fourthelephant.com
Re: Materialized views or replication or ... ? [message #158598 is a reply to message #158362] Mon, 13 February 2006 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
princess

hai

-either u replicate yr tables by multimaster replication on other database or
materialized view replication on other database or in the same database on other schema

-or use rman feature if u r using 9i database

the first option is better on experince\

regards

Re: Materialized views or replication or ... ? [message #158603 is a reply to message #158598] Mon, 13 February 2006 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tchu
Thanx for your reponses.

I had a look on the Flashback stuff. It sounds quite good, and the flashback queries seems to work even on 9i, version I use.
The questions are :
- How far can we go in the past ?
- How long would take a query on very old datas ?
The main purpose of this solution is more database manipulations errors than fitting history of a database.

I'll have a look on the "multimaster replication".

If someone has other solutions, you're welcome.

Thanx
Re: Materialized views or replication or ... ? [message #159969 is a reply to message #158603] Wed, 22 February 2006 08:15 Go to previous message
rucknrun
I agree with taking a full RMAN backup or taking a full export of the database or schema. You can archive the backups and as long as you keep track of them it should be no problem to recover the database to that point.
Previous Topic: real-time replication problem
Next Topic: replication package-- BIP_Delta
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:17:04 CDT 2024