Home » Other » Community Hangout » Ideas for puzzles on Oracle
Ideas for puzzles on Oracle [message #209712] Sun, 17 December 2006 05:36 Go to next message
orausern
Hello ,

In my company , I started a contest on Oracle..we would send two questions on SQL, Pl-SQL and the fastest response with all correct answer is the winner...this is getting some response and I am wondering about where I could refer for material which would be good for the contest...basically queries that are not too easy nor painstakingly difficult..something that appeals the java programmer or the dot net programmer and even tempts a QA guy to take a look and try to solve...

I think I have enough to keep going for next seven rounds or so but I am exploring for getting better ideas...any pointers to such puzzles or similar links etc I shall be thankful ..(I know of Steven Feuristein's puzzles on toadsoft or some other site)

Thanks
Nirav
Re: Ideas for puzzles on Oracle [message #209716 is a reply to message #209712] Sun, 17 December 2006 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
I have no idea where to get the puzzles.
But i know where to get cool coding techniques.
Search our SQL Forums.
Members like zozogirl have posted some outstanding sql solutions.
May be you can frame your own 'puzzles' out of it.
Regards

PS: I just named one of the many regulars posting some excellent solutions here. Just search forum.

[Updated on: Sun, 17 December 2006 05:51]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Ideas for puzzles on Oracle [message #209717 is a reply to message #209716] Sun, 17 December 2006 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
orausern
Thank you Mahesh..yes I shall be studying the posts in the sql forums..

[Updated on: Sun, 17 December 2006 06:12]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Ideas for puzzles on Oracle [message #209776 is a reply to message #209717] Sun, 17 December 2006 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
I posted this one a while ago. And I had fun writing this one, but it didn't really generate any interest.

Here's another favourite written by a colleague:

Quote:
This is the case where you are Ticketek, and you get a group of 4 people who want to book seats together. You must find all the places in the theatre where there are 4 or more vacant seats all next to each other.

For our purposes, assume that we have n people, so we need n or more vacant seats in a row. Ignore the problem that in most theatres the seat numbers aren't adjacent at the ends of rows. (Assume that we have a circular amphitheatre with the seats in a continuous spiral.) Return a row with the starting number for each set of n adjacent seats. It would be even better if you could return a single row for each block of of available seats of n or more, so if n=4, and 101-106 are available, then the row (101,6) would be preferable to 101,102,103.

The input will be as follows. If there are 1000 seats in the theatre, then there will be 1000 rows in the table, with an indicator for whether each seat is booked or not.

Ross Leishman
Re: Ideas for puzzles on Oracle [message #209949 is a reply to message #209776] Mon, 18 December 2006 11:16 Go to previous message
orausern
Thanks a lot Ross! Thats very helpful...
Previous Topic: New contest - random help
Next Topic: Happy New Year -- 2007
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:06:56 CDT 2024