Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » locating the init.ora
locating the init.ora [message #245476] Sun, 17 June 2007 16:51 Go to next message
DanAshcroft
Im trying to create a database manually, just to learn how to do it.
I understand completely the CREATE DATABASE statement and the clauses within it, but Im having trouble with locating the init.ora file and making the appropriate changes to it.
Where is it?
I have tried searches but so far cant locate it.
I understand that I have to change or copy the init file before I create the new db. That's why I need to find it please.
DA
Re: locating the init.ora [message #245479 is a reply to message #245476] Sun, 17 June 2007 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Are you incapable or unwilling to read & following posting guidelines in the #1 STICKY post at the top of this forum?
>Where is it?
It would be where ever you decide to create it.
Since you are manually creating a new DB, you need to provide all the necessary details; including a name/location of the pfile.
If/when you do not specify the location of the pfile, Oracle will attempt to open $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/initSID.ora; which may or may not exist.

[Updated on: Sun, 17 June 2007 17:44] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: locating the init.ora [message #245481 is a reply to message #245479] Sun, 17 June 2007 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DanAshcroft
Thanks that's really helpful.
Re: locating the init.ora [message #245483 is a reply to message #245476] Sun, 17 June 2007 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
The pfile can be named anything you choose & can reside in any directory.

SQL> STARTUP PFILE='/tmp/i_just_want2B_different.doc'

The line above would be valid as long as file exists & contain correct lines.
Re: locating the init.ora [message #245489 is a reply to message #245483] Sun, 17 June 2007 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DanAshcroft
" Are you incapable or unwilling to read & following posting guidelines in the #1 STICKY post at the top of this forum? "

When someone new to this forum asks a sincere question do you think this is the way to respond?
Do you have a real job? Real relationship? What do you think someone would do if you spoke this way to them to their face?

I wont bother you again - there are plenty of other Oracle forums where people interact respectfully. Have a great night.
Re: locating the init.ora [message #245491 is a reply to message #245476] Sun, 17 June 2007 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>I wont bother you again - there are plenty of other Oracle forums where people interact respectfully
As respectful as you were to the posting guidelines of this forum?

[Updated on: Sun, 17 June 2007 20:55] by Moderator

Re: locating the init.ora [message #245575 is a reply to message #245489] Mon, 18 June 2007 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gkrishn
DanAshcroft wrote on Sun, 17 June 2007 19:42
When someone new to this forum asks a sincere question do you think this is the way to respond?
Do you have a real job? Real relationship? What do you think someone would do if you spoke this way to them to their face?

I wont bother you again - there are plenty of other Oracle forums where people interact respectfully. Have a great night.

Its there in this forum ,Only in this FORUM !!!! .
People mightnot have time to read STICKY posts you mentioned.Many people come to forum to get help from others amid their busy time.Still everyone wil try to present in a descent way.I feel thats more than enough.Why to impose such things and show a rude manner .If someone dont dont like the way it posted please stay away.There are many good people here who share the knowledge in a descent way.
Otherwise users will migrate to other forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Updated on: Mon, 18 June 2007 03:02]

Re: locating the init.ora [message #245602 is a reply to message #245575] Mon, 18 June 2007 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Well, it's all about quality, not quantity.

Stickies are here to help both people who have a problem and people who are trying to answer those questions. Time someone spends on reading the sticky saves much more time after.

But OK, we could mention Anacedent's charm in the stickies, just to warn newbies /forum/fa/917/0/
Re: locating the init.ora [message #245604 is a reply to message #245575] Mon, 18 June 2007 03:53 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
If someone dont dont like the way it posted please stay away...
Otherwise users will migrate to other forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You just missed one point:
people who answer don't need people who ask.
people who ask need people who answer.
Which ones have to make the effort?

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Mon, 18 June 2007 03:53]

Previous Topic: Grant Select Permission
Next Topic: ORA-01536: space quota exceeded for tablespace 'TOOLS'
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 16:05:44 CDT 2024