Home » RDBMS Server » Security » Reference privilege
Reference privilege [message #250782] Wed, 11 July 2007 05:42 Go to next message
metink
Hello there,

I have a major problem. I want to be able to create foreign keys across schemas. However our company DBA's say that we use roles and it is not good practice to directly grant priviliges on objects. We know that it is not possible to grant reference privilege via roles.

Now, in our case we only want to enable FK's in development database which will be created 'disabled' and 'unvalidated'. That's because all I care is to be able to reverse engineer our database with relations displayed. Normally RI is maintained on application level, something decided long ago. But this makes the life of a data modeler really painful.

Is there any good ideas out there that can solve my problem?

Thanks in advance !!

Re: Reference privilege [message #251056 is a reply to message #250782] Thu, 12 July 2007 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
metink
Any oracle gurus out there to reply my posting?

Thanks!
Re: Reference privilege [message #251070 is a reply to message #251056] Thu, 12 July 2007 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
If I answer you that database is not the repository for your model, you will not be happy so I shut up.
If I tell you that if your model contains reference integrity then it MUST be in the database, you will not be happy so I shut up.
If I tell you that reference integrity is not an application problem but a database one so don't do anything in the application let the database makes its job, you will not be happy so I shut up.

Regards
Michel
Re: Reference privilege [message #251081 is a reply to message #250782] Thu, 12 July 2007 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
metink
Michel, I would actually be happy if what you said could be achieved but hey, it is not in my hand and i'm not the decision maker here.

I guess it is simply not possible to do this with oracle unless oracle enables to grant reference privilege via roles.
Re: Reference privilege [message #251116 is a reply to message #251081] Thu, 12 July 2007 07:26 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
I guess it is simply not possible to do this with oracle unless oracle enables to grant reference privilege via roles.

Is this not what you said in your question?
Quote:
We know that it is not possible to grant reference privilege via roles.

The strict answer is in the question that's why nobody answer as any other answer won't agree you.

You insist to have an answer, I gave you mine.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: Setting up the synonym
Next Topic: Re: Username & Password for Oracle 9i
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:13:02 CDT 2024