Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Unable to login to SQLPLUS to start an Instance
icon8.gif  Unable to login to SQLPLUS to start an Instance [message #265387] Thu, 06 September 2007 04:16 Go to next message
srelia
Hi everybody,
I am struggling to log into sqlplus to start an instance. I get the calssic "ORA-01031: insufficient privileges" error when I try SQL> conn / as sysdba.

I am logged into the server using ssh, using my NIS credentials. Then I sudo as root and set the environment variables to login as sqlplus /nolog. I have set the authentication parameter in sqlnet.ora. However when I tried adding myself to the dba group. I couldn't find the dba group.

I have 4 questions around this.
1) why is it that dba group isn't there
2)should i create it
3)whom should i add in there. Root or myself.
4)Lastly, please let me know if there is another way around this to fix the issue.

Thanks and Regards,
Saurabh Relia
Re: Unable to login to SQLPLUS to start an Instance [message #265392 is a reply to message #265387] Thu, 06 September 2007 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arju

1)Because it is not created.
2) your wish
3) The user you use to login through sqlplus
4)Creating password file.
Re: Unable to login to SQLPLUS to start an Instance [message #265539 is a reply to message #265392] Thu, 06 September 2007 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DreamzZ
Quote:
Then I sudo as root and set the environment variables to login as sqlplus /nolog.

Why didn't as a user Oracle or who owns Oracle.

Quote:
1) why is it that dba group isn't there

$ id
uid=2003(oracle) gid=1000(dba)

Quote:
2)should i create it

Double check weather its exist or not and then..

Quote:
4)Lastly, please let me know if there is another way around this to fix the issue.

1st check Your settings..
Re: Unable to login to SQLPLUS to start an Instance [message #265545 is a reply to message #265387] Thu, 06 September 2007 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Solution could depend upon OS name & version and Oracle version to FOUR decimal places.

I recently saw very similar results when OS user was NOT member of "dba" group.

It would be nice if OP read & followed all posting guidelines as stated in STICKY post at top of this forum.

Use CUT & PASTE plus <code tags> to post results from:
id
sqlplus
/ as sysdba
startup
exit

icon7.gif  Re: Unable to login to SQLPLUS to start an Instance [message #265748 is a reply to message #265392] Fri, 07 September 2007 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
srelia
Thank You Arju,
Your answer did clarify some of my doubts.
Thank you Dreamz,
I did try using the db owner and was able to start the instance.
Thanks Anadecent. I have been able to sort the issue.
However there is one question that I still have and am unclear of it's answer. How come dba group doesn't exist? I doubt that it is created during install. However i will just go through the installation notes to check that. Please share with me your understanding about this.
Regards,
Saurabh
Re: Unable to login to SQLPLUS to start an Instance [message #265852 is a reply to message #265748] Fri, 07 September 2007 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DreamzZ
check this for ORACLE installation on LINUX and SOLARIS.

http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/10g/Articles10g.php#DB10gInstallations
Re: Unable to login to SQLPLUS to start an Instance [message #265933 is a reply to message #265387] Sat, 08 September 2007 00:45 Go to previous message
Arju

Quote:
How come dba group doesn't exist? I doubt that it is created during install.

Then someone has deleted dba group!!!
Previous Topic: Tablespace
Next Topic: metric collection
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 10:44:51 CDT 2024