Home » Other » Client Tools » SQL*Plus Script Dropping Column Headings
SQL*Plus Script Dropping Column Headings [message #269123] Thu, 20 September 2007 14:57 Go to next message
tmajor
I have a sql*plus script that I am trying to execute from a concurrent program.

When I run the script in sql*plus, it executes fine and output contains the column headings.

However when I run it in concurrent program and view the output the column headings are not there.

Any ideas?
Re: SQL*Plus Script Dropping Column Headings [message #269124 is a reply to message #269123] Thu, 20 September 2007 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
This is SQL*Plus that adds the column headers.
Your program has to do the same thing.

Regards
Michel
Re: SQL*Plus Script Dropping Column Headings [message #269128 is a reply to message #269124] Thu, 20 September 2007 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tmajor
When you say my program has to do the same thing - do you mean the concurrent program?

If so, how is that accomplished?

The sql script select statment is VERY simple:
select customer from all_customers;
Re: SQL*Plus Script Dropping Column Headings [message #269130 is a reply to message #269128] Thu, 20 September 2007 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
do you mean the concurrent program?

Yes your concurrent program.

Quote:
If so, how is that accomplished?

I don't know what is your concurrent program.

Regards
Michel
Re: SQL*Plus Script Dropping Column Headings [message #269131 is a reply to message #269130] Thu, 20 September 2007 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tmajor
I'm not clear on what you mean by "what is my concurrent program", so I'll try to explain.

I have a very simple sql script to select a few columns from a table. The output is a report I'm developing for a user.

Rather than have the users run it from SQL*Plus, I want them to run it as a concurrent program.

I created the executable of type SQL*Plus, then created a concurrent program using that executable.

Does that answer your question?
Re: SQL*Plus Script Dropping Column Headings [message #269140 is a reply to message #269131] Thu, 20 September 2007 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
A concurrent program, as I've understood it, could be a DOS batch file. Let's see an example: batch file which first executes a SQL script and shows spooled result on the screen:
REM MAJOR.BAT

sqlplus -s scott/tiger@ora10lp @major.sql

type major.txt
It will call a simple SQL script which creates a TXT file:
REM MAJOR.SQL

set termout off

spool major.txt

select ename, job, sal
from emp
where deptno = 10;

spool off;

exit;
OK, let's execute it!
C:\TEMP>major

C:\TEMP>sqlplus -s scott/tiger@ora10lp @major.sql

C:\TEMP>type major.txt

ENAME      JOB              SAL

---------- --------- ----------

CLARK                      2450

KING                       5000

MILLER                     1300

C:\TEMP>
Column headings are here.

Now, could you reproduce such an example or, even better, show us what you did (copy-paste if possible), not tell us a story?
Re: SQL*Plus Script Dropping Column Headings [message #269142 is a reply to message #269123] Thu, 20 September 2007 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>Does that answer your question?
Not for me.
Rather than trying to "paint a picture" by explaining or describing what you think you are doing, it might help if you actually took a picture by using CUT & PASTE & showed us exactly
what you have, what you are doing, & the responses you are seeing.

Please read & following the posting guidelines as stated in the #1 STICKY post at the top of this forum; including the use of <code tags>.

Re: SQL*Plus Script Dropping Column Headings [message #269150 is a reply to message #269142] Thu, 20 September 2007 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tmajor
Unfortunately, no that doesn't answer the question of how to get the column headings to print in the output from the concurrent program.

Anyone else - or maybe further clarification?
Re: SQL*Plus Script Dropping Column Headings [message #269151 is a reply to message #269150] Thu, 20 September 2007 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tmajor
I am talking about a concurrent program in Oracle applications if that helps explain more what I'm doing.

The user would log onto a certain responsibility and then select reports -> run and choose this report.

Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.
Re: SQL*Plus Script Dropping Column Headings [message #269329 is a reply to message #269151] Fri, 21 September 2007 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Soumen Kamilya

If you are not getting the column heading in your report then run a qery to get the column names before running your original report, it will solve your problem.

Cheers
Soumen
Re: SQL*Plus Script Dropping Column Headings [message #269546 is a reply to message #269123] Sun, 23 September 2007 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arju

Check out the heading settings within script as well as in SQL*PLUS.Simply in SQL*PLUS check,

Show heading

If you are inside a .txt file search .
Re: SQL*Plus Script Dropping Column Headings [message #269567 is a reply to message #269546] Sun, 23 September 2007 09:45 Go to previous message
tmajor
This problem was solved by adding a select column names from dual with a union to my original select.

Previous Topic: passing one parameter from Shell-script to Sql-script
Next Topic: How to refresh variable in loop
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:53:49 CDT 2024