Home » Other » Client Tools » Problem retrieving varchar2 columns, different tools
Problem retrieving varchar2 columns, different tools [message #282642] Thu, 22 November 2007 19:55 Go to next message
j10021213
We have a problem querying one of our 9i databases when connecting to it using an 8i client.

1. When using SQL Plus, varchar2 columns seem to have extra spaces in them (e.g. ' H E L L O').

2. When using TOAD, varchar2 columns don't show up at all as if they were blank. Also upon connection we're getting a ORA-12571 error.

3. When using SQL Worksheet there are no problems at all.

Also in cases 1 and 2 a simple query like select 'hello' from dual just returns a blank value.

Which is weird since the other databases we have on the server are just fine.

Any ideas? We're rather stumped by this.
Re: Problem retrieving varchar2 columns, different tools [message #282680 is a reply to message #282642] Fri, 23 November 2007 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
SELECT ' A M A Z I N G ! ' FROM dual; /forum/fa/450/0/

One of TOAD Wiki pages suggests
Quote:

... don't use an 8.1.7.0 client to talk to an 8.1.7.4 database. Rather use an 8.1.7.4 or 9i or 10g client. However this is a common problem. Many Toad errors or issues can often be quickly remedied by following this advice.

I can't test it myself as I don't have 8i client available, but someone might know how to explain the problem (except upgrading the client, of course).
Re: Problem retrieving varchar2 columns, different tools [message #282979 is a reply to message #282642] Sun, 25 November 2007 18:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
j10021213
I'm asking since we have an application which behaves like the select in Toad.

And if the client is the problem, how come SQL Worksheet works fine and we only see this issue on selected DB instances?
Re: Problem retrieving varchar2 columns, different tools [message #282983 is a reply to message #282642] Sun, 25 November 2007 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>how come SQL Worksheet works fine and we only see this issue on selected DB instances?
Different client s/w versions?
Different client s/w directories (ORACLE_HOME)?
Different database versions & ORACLE_HOME?

When you get different results it is because SOMETHING is DIFFERENT!

We can NOT solve this situation for you because only you have YOUR environment!
Re: Problem retrieving varchar2 columns, different tools [message #282985 is a reply to message #282983] Sun, 25 November 2007 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
j10021213
Quote:

When you get different results it is because SOMETHING is DIFFERENT!

Yeah, I know something is different. That's why I came to these forums to find someone who can help us figure out what that SOMETHING is. There's no need to be so sarcastic.

All the tools were running with the same version of the 8i client, same oracle home as there is only one version of the client installed on the PC I was testing on. All databases have same versions.

Quote:

We can NOT solve this situation for you because only you have YOUR environment!

I wasn't asking you to. Read my first post. I was merely asking for ideas. A push in the right direction. Trying to see if someone has similar experiences.
Re: Problem retrieving varchar2 columns, different tools [message #282987 is a reply to message #282642] Sun, 25 November 2007 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>All the tools were running with the same version of the 8i client, same oracle home as there is only one version of the client installed on the PC I was testing on. All databases have same versions.
#1 - You insist that everything is the same.
#2 - You know you have different results.
Therefore I assume that statement #1 above is NOT true.

As long as you believe #1 is true, then you won't find what is different.

If you purposely & knowingly break something, then NONE of the clients should work if #1 is true.

However if #1 is false & 1 or more clients continue to "work";
then you know you have multiple "functioning" environments.
Re: Problem retrieving varchar2 columns, different tools [message #283003 is a reply to message #282987] Sun, 25 November 2007 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
j10021213
Quote:

#1 - You insist that everything is the same.
#2 - You know you have different results.

I already said I know something is different. All I said was the tools were running on the same client and the databases are of the same version. That leaves a lot of things where something could be different.

Look, I'm not here to debate OK? And since you're the only who seems to be replying so far anacedent, do you know of any specific reason the queries behave as they do? Or of any specific scenario where such is possible?

That's all I'm asking.
Re: Problem retrieving varchar2 columns, different tools [message #283016 is a reply to message #283003] Sun, 25 November 2007 23:30 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
The client applications are different.
Seems you have some UTF8/Unicode settings.
1/ SQL*Plus blanks are in place of 00 code point. SQL*Plus 8i does not support ITF8/Unicode
2/ Seems your TOAD does not know how to communicate
3/ SQL*Plus Worksheet (Java) supports Unicode.

Check your environment for language and character set settings.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Sun, 25 November 2007 23:30]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: How to connect to sqlplus
Next Topic: Strange behaviour!!!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 13:16:29 CDT 2024