Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Problem relating NLS parameter setting[Topic:Merged]
Problem relating NLS parameter setting[Topic:Merged] [message #282556] Thu, 22 November 2007 06:14 Go to next message
Sporadic

Hello all
I have a problem in ORacle, I wanna develop an application that can store, retrieve and display, urdu language, I have searched for it on web a lot, but couldnot find a solution. I had tried to change the NLS_LANG setting, but an error of super characterset has came, I mean I had default characterset of AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1 in oracle. I tried to change it in
AMERICAN_AMERICA.AR8MSWIN1256, but message appeared of some type that super characterset so cant changed.

To solve this issue, i created a new database in Oracle yesterday, the both databases worked fine upto yesterday.

But when today when i started svrmgrl ("Sorry I forget, I am using Oracle 8i (8.1.5) in windows XP, so I need to run this utility to start oracle) I can just login to the new database and cant able to login with the old database, I got message "ORACLE is not Available". I start svrmgrl again, and tried to log in with old database like internal@qaiser, and enter the command of startup, but it cannot mount the database, a message appeared on command prompt Database cannot mount in EXCLUSIVE mode.

Anybody please help me out in this issue, and also please help me for the issue, that I can develop application in URDU.

Regards
Faisal

[Updated on: Sat, 24 November 2007 01:41] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Problem Relating to Oracle Database [message #282571 is a reply to message #282556] Thu, 22 November 2007 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mohammad Taj

Database cannot mount in EXCLUSIVE mode.
Did you set ORACLE_SID variable to startup your old database ?
or
check both database init.ora file for db_name parameter is same ?
Re: Problem Relating to Oracle Database [message #282690 is a reply to message #282556] Fri, 23 November 2007 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sporadic

I didnot set ORACLE_SID variable to startup old database,
infact i dont know how to set it.

My old database sid is 'qaiser' and new database sid is 'faisal'

Here are the init.ora files of the both databases. What to do with these files?

For qaiser

db_name = qaiser

instance_name = qaiser

service_names = qaiser

db_files = 1024 # INITIAL

for Faisal

db_name = FAISAL

instance_name = FAISAL

service_names = FAISAL

db_files = 1024

db_name parameter is different for the both sid.
Please Taj bhai Help me out in this matter.

[Updated on: Fri, 23 November 2007 00:49]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Problem Relating to Oracle Database [message #282772 is a reply to message #282556] Fri, 23 November 2007 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sporadic

The database problem has been solved, Thanks Taj Bhai,
I didnot set the ORacle_sid variable to my old database name in the registry.

Now I can run both the databases simultaneously.
By changing the Oracle_sid variable in the registry

Thanks to Taj Bhai.

My Urdu entry problem has also been solved almost 50%. Like, I can write Urdu in the Oracle Forms text box, but it inserted ????????? in the Oracle database. But when i update or insert the record in the ORacle Database, it inserted the correct text, when I query that record in the database it show the correct text, but when i tried to retrieve it through Front end, like forms and reports, it displayed inverted ???????.

If any body please help me in this regard.
I shall be thankful to him/her.

Regards
Faisal
Help Regarding Developer NLS envoirnment Variable [message #282834 is a reply to message #282556] Sat, 24 November 2007 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sporadic

I have set the Developer 6i NLS_LANG variable to AMERICAN_AMERICA.AR8MSWIN1256 in registry, So that i can input, and store data in Arabic language. But when i use GET_FORM_PROPERTY function to get the NLS setting, by using MODULE_NLS_LANG variable, it get me AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1, How can i properly change the NLS_LANG to AMERICAN_AMERICA.AR8MSWIN1256, so that i can properly insert the values in the database, coz the form display the exact text in the text box, but when convert into database, it stores ?????????? in the database, my data base character set is AMERICAN_AMERICA.AR8MSWIN1256. Database can properly store the characterset of arabic, when try to store it in database in SQL prompt through query.

Plz anybody help me in this regard.

Regards
Faisal
Re: Help Regarding Developer NLS envoirnment Variable [message #282848 is a reply to message #282834] Sat, 24 November 2007 03:10 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Quote:

Reported By: Sporadic
Reason: Help required immediately

Please, read the OraFAQ Forum Guide, especially section which explains our attitude about reporting your own messages to moderators and things being urgent.
Previous Topic: Upgrade 8i to 10g or 11g RAC?
Next Topic: Migrate Job Library to a New Server?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Sep 18 18:23:29 CDT 2024