Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » any tips for ora-07445 error
any tips for ora-07445 error [message #291995] Mon, 07 January 2008 06:50 Go to next message
gunsbong
good day to everyone...specially to Mr. Michel!

were having ora-07445 for how many months now,that is why the cdump directory is rapidly growing...

any suggestions in fixing ora-07445?

is this related to patches?

if we update our patches, can we suffer downtime in our production?

if no?what procedure do we have to take to do this?

Thank..
Re: any tips for ora-07445 error [message #291999 is a reply to message #291995] Mon, 07 January 2008 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mohammad Taj

ORA-07445: exception encountered: core dump [string] [string] [string] [string] [string] [string]

Cause: An OS exception occurred which should result in the
creation of a core file. This is an internal error.

Action: Contact your customer support representative.

Cantact Oracle Support.

http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_ora_07445_exception_encountered.htm
http://www.mydatabasesupport.com/oracle/administration/oracle-database-administration-ora-7445-error.html

if we update our patches, can we suffer downtime in our production?

if no?what procedure do we have to take to do this?

Yes, you need to down database server.
all information comes with README.TXT file and readme.txt file comes with every oracle patchsets.
check in http://metalink.oracle.com site for more info.
Re: any tips for ora-07445 error [message #292271 is a reply to message #291995] Tue, 08 January 2008 06:28 Go to previous message
mkbhati
Many times I faced similar situation & spend days while trying to figure out root cause. Technical support was not of much help. Below mention is my perception of ORA 7445. I do not know weather you guys over there at ORAFAQ will agree with this or not but it surely works at least for me it had worked successfully many times.

(a) If your OS installation is quite old i.e. more than few years than have a fresh OS re installation(from scratch including recreating partitions) with latest service packs / patch sets than restore your Oracle installation.

(b) Many OSes have a tendency of a peculiar kind of self corruption over a period of time particularly windows bases systems.

(c) if your system is up for a very long time which is the case with 24X7 mission critical systems ( indeed a matter of proud)than try shut down & restart. Also check for effective cooling in your server installation. Heat related issues can also cause an OS to behave erratically.In one case I found totally dried up Heat sink Paste on CPU of a very old server installation causing CPU overheating in system.

(d) Check logs of your OS to see if you have frequent hardware / software related exceptions / events recorded. If found positive than pin point the hardware system/sub system ( memory or disk controllers in particular)causing exceptions and get them replaced.

(e) If you are on a very Old Hardware than it is right time for a switch over for a new server.

(f) Try to recall, have you recently upgraded / added new hardware component to your server installation [ just before when you started getting Ora-7445].

(g) Try to recall, have you recently applied any service pack /patch set to OS of your server installation [ just before when you started getting Ora-7445].

Note: In every situation I have faced with Ora-7445 the resultant was OS misconfiguration / behavior & hardware issues. All major OSes behave differently to misconfigurations and hardware related issues. You can also get your OS checked from some real Hardware/OS Guy, if you have some dependable contacts.The set of possibilities for Ora-7445 is virtually end less & often you can pin point the root cause only by virtue of your experience or simply by replacing the box in one go[ very crude and basic approach to investigation].

Regards
mkbhati

[Updated on: Tue, 08 January 2008 06:56] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Checkpoint types
Next Topic: 10 g parameter
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 16 05:44:24 CDT 2024