Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Client Process not killed after database reboot (Oracle 9i. Linux)
icon5.gif  Client Process not killed after database reboot [message #298157] Tue, 05 February 2008 03:14 Go to next message
Zatso
Hi,

I just don't understand how a process (and in my case many "select" processes on the client side) can still be active and CPU consuming after the Oracle server has been shutdowned and restarted. Only the Oracle server has been restarted, not the server machine.

Thank you for your comments
Re: Client Process not killed after database reboot [message #298163 is a reply to message #298157] Tue, 05 February 2008 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Post what you did to see what you said you saw.

Regards
Michel
Re: Client Process not killed after database reboot [message #298172 is a reply to message #298163] Tue, 05 February 2008 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zatso
[quote Post what you did to see what you said you saw /quote]
We are using an ERP and every night we shut down the Oracle server (shut down immediate) automatically by a script and make a copy of the datafiles. Then we start the Oracle server. This morning it took ages to save the files and when the server was on at last, we looked at the processes and saw that Oracle processes of the day before (day of connection with TOAD)were still working . We had to kill them manually.
I hope this anwers your question.
Thanks for replying.
Re: Client Process not killed after database reboot [message #298175 is a reply to message #298172] Tue, 05 February 2008 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
TOAD is not a reliable product.
Use SQL*Plus.
From what you said, I don't know which process it is, if it is a client process or a server/shadow one.
Shut down can't let processes as it waits for the end of the processes, it is more likely there is a kill (or a bad linux configuration that leads to zombie processes).

Regards
Michel
Re: Client Process not killed after database reboot [message #298181 is a reply to message #298175] Tue, 05 February 2008 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zatso
This is what I wanted to be sure about, that shut down kill all the processes.
They were client processes (as long as Toad can be relied on) and the process scripts were "Select" on a production table.
Re: Client Process not killed after database reboot [message #298188 is a reply to message #298157] Tue, 05 February 2008 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mkbhati

If you happen to shutdown Oracle server for any purpose than always use this opportunity to restart you OS also [applicable to servers having long uptime]. Time induced instability is a common cause for zombie processes & resource exhaustion on almost all major oses.

Regards
Manjit Kumar [mkbhati]
Re: Client Process not killed after database reboot [message #298204 is a reply to message #298188] Tue, 05 February 2008 05:55 Go to previous message
Zatso
Thank you for this remark.
Regards.
Previous Topic: csv file to be loaded from FTP
Next Topic: orastack size in bytes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 16 05:49:45 CDT 2024