Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » READ ONLY Tablespace - Free Space (9i)
READ ONLY Tablespace - Free Space [message #304346] Tue, 04 March 2008 23:48 Go to next message
Brayan
Hi,

I want to make some tablespaces READ_ONLY in my Datawarehose Environment.

At present these tablespaces having more than 40% Free space.
I want to reduce this space and want to maintain just 5% Free space.

Are there any guidelines to maintain how much Free Space required in READ ONLY tablespaces.

Thanks,
Brian
Re: READ ONLY Tablespace - Free Space [message #304366 is a reply to message #304346] Wed, 05 March 2008 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
You can't if the tablespace is already in READ ONLY mode.
Otherwise search for "reclaiming space" or the like, there are many topics on the subject.

Regards
Michel
Re: READ ONLY Tablespace - Free Space [message #304382 is a reply to message #304366] Wed, 05 March 2008 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mkbhati
You can try following options:

(a) you can use alter database datafile '<path+file_name>' resize <size>M;remember that you can only shrink upto the high water mark of your datafile else you get ORA-03297.

(b) Create a new tablespace and use alter table move command to move all the table to the new one
then drop the old tablespace. than make it read only.

Quote:
Are there any guidelines to maintain how much Free Space required in READ ONLY tablespaces.

No specific rules for free space in readonly tablespaces, only your choice is best guide.

Regards

Manjit Kumar [mkbhati]
Re: READ ONLY Tablespace - Free Space [message #304386 is a reply to message #304382] Wed, 05 March 2008 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
No specific rules for free space in readonly tablespaces

Of course there is no specific rules as there is NO rule. YOu can't do anything on a READ ONLY tablespace but read.

Regards
Michel
Re: READ ONLY Tablespace - Free Space [message #304398 is a reply to message #304346] Wed, 05 March 2008 01:11 Go to previous message
mkbhati

Thanks Michel

Regards

Manjit Kumar [mkbhati]
Previous Topic: [urgent] ASK: How to increase Free_MB in my physical standby database?
Next Topic: Audit & Trace Database Changes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 16 05:08:52 CDT 2024