Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Oracle did not ask for username/passwd to get connected. (10.1.0.5.0/Win2003 server)
Oracle did not ask for username/passwd to get connected. [message #306694] Sat, 15 March 2008 22:10 Go to next message
it_me24
Hello Everybody,

I have recently created a Database, and while connecting as SYS DBA i do not need to provide a password because the user is a member of ORA DBA.

I want oracle to ask for the username and password to get connected.

I tried creating a password file but got an error.

SQL> $orapwd file='F:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_5\dbs' password=test123! entries=5

OPW-00001: Unable to open password-file

so,I removed the user from the ORA-DBA group, by that way oracle did ask for the user and password, since this way any body using the OS Aadministrator account can add/remove the member from ORA-DBA group.

Is there any other way to accomplish the task?

Please Suggest!!

Thanks for your time.
Re: Oracle did not ask for username/passwd to get connected. [message #306695 is a reply to message #306694] Sat, 15 March 2008 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>Is there any other way to accomplish the task?
What "task"?

What problem are you trying to solve?
How would an independent observer conclude (or not) the problem has really been solved (or not)?
What is the quantifiable metric for success & failure?
Re: Oracle did not ask for username/passwd to get connected. [message #306696 is a reply to message #306694] Sat, 15 March 2008 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it_me24
Thankyou so much for your reply.

My appologies.

I do not want use connect / as sysdba login method.
I wish oracle to ask for the username and password before login even if i have the OS administrative privs.

I can do it if i remove the user from the OS(ORACLE DBA) group.
but i want security at oracle level.

How do i force users including me to provide username and password to connect to the oracle?
if through password file, then how to check wheather password file is already created or not.

thanks
Re: Oracle did not ask for username/passwd to get connected. [message #306698 is a reply to message #306694] Sat, 15 March 2008 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/network.102/b14266/toc.htm

You can't get there.

Only TRUSTED users should have logon access to the database server as a member of the "dba" group.

Otherwise, when the "dba password" becomes lost, you'd be locked out of the database permanently!

Accessing the database via
/ as sysdba
is the "master key" when all other means fails to gain access.
Re: Oracle did not ask for username/passwd to get connected. [message #306701 is a reply to message #306694] Sat, 15 March 2008 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it_me24
Thanks for your replies.

I have one more query.
I want to create a user which will only run the scheduled job like

execute DBMS_SNAPSHOT.REFRESH('orcl10.ACCOUNT','F');

Which privilege should i assingn the user.

thanks
Re: Oracle did not ask for username/passwd to get connected. [message #306702 is a reply to message #306694] Sat, 15 March 2008 23:27 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
>execute DBMS_SNAPSHOT.REFRESH('orcl10.ACCOUNT','F');

>Which privilege should i assingn the user.
Privs acquired via ROLE do NOT apply with PL/SQL procedures.

At a minimum

GRANT EXECUTE on DBMS_SNAPSHOT to DESIGNATED_USER.
Previous Topic: Oracle 9i and 10g...difference from DB Administration and Developing View
Next Topic: Database creation errors
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 16 05:24:13 CDT 2024